Thread: Touchpad nightmare after upgrade to Ubuntu 10.10

Touchpad nightmare after upgrade to Ubuntu 10.10

I am using the HP Pavilon DV7 laptop for my personal things. It is running with Ubuntu and I didn’t find any issue about this laptop till now. Actually the problem started when I upgrade my laptop to Ubuntu 10.10. After the upgrade my touchpad goes sleep and still didn’t woke up and behaving like a nut. I can’t right click anything with this touchpad. The main issue is when I move the pointer to any icon or button then try and click it the pointer moves to the lower corner. I can’t drag anything where I point to. What is going on with touchpad now?

re: Touchpad nightmare after upgrade to Ubuntu 10.10

This will happen sometime when you not properly finished the upgrade. You must follow the step-by-step distribution upgrade methods of Ubuntu 10.10 . For the trouble shooting follow my advice first.
    Double checking the kernel which you are currently booting
    Code:
    uname -r
    lsb_release –a
    Checking the ps-mouse module
    Code:
    lsmod|grep psmouse
    Checking the error that is produced by touchpad
    Code:
    dmesg|grep mouse

I think there must be some kind of problem with your laptop touchpad. Do you have a Ubuntu 10.10 Live CD? If you have one then boot your hp pavillion dv7 using that and check for everything including your touch pad properly. If find any trouble on other stuffs along with touchpad the nassue that it must be lack in support feature of laptop hardware. There might be some missing parts in Ubuntu 10.10 that is causing the touchpad issue.

I heard from several laptop users that when they upgrade to ubuntu 10.10 the system touchpad is not working as they want. The side scroll will stop working and the pointers speed slows downs even your setting is in fast. So for this I found a little solution on the internet and I hope that this will work.First of all create file that is named as /etc/modprobe.d/touchpad.conf . The another easy way to create his file is open Applications --> Accessories --> Terminal. In the command line window type sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/touchpad.conf. when you are going to open the file it will ask for the password. In that file put options as psmouse proto=imps. Next save the file and restart your laptop.

It might be the drivers problem in your laptop that is causing this issue. As far as I think you should upgrade the required drivers. If your system running with older BIOS then update it to newer version. In BIOS settings if there is option for touchpad configuration check it manually. Use any USB mouse and connect it your laptop. Now perform the operations like click, double click, drag, drop, rotate and resize. Can you notice any changes between the touchpad movement and the mouse movement? Also try the system recovery task if possible.