Thread: Logitech Webcam cannot be detected in Linux

Logitech Webcam cannot be detected in Linux

Hi guys, I have bought a new HD C910 Webcam from Logitech. It was working fine when I connected that to the computer having the Windows system installed but when I connected that to one other computer that was having the Linux installed, then it was not able to work there. I cannot figure out that why this is happening to this. I am using the Ubuntu 10.10 on my machine which has 2 Gigs of the memory and there are two hard drives that are keeping the Windows and the Linux. I searched for this on internet but not found any proper solution for that. Need help. Thank you very much in advance.

Re: problem with Logitech Webcam

Sorry but you have not mentioned the software that you are using for that. It will be more useful for us to provide you the best suggestions if we have the sufficient amount of information. Then also, if you are using the kopte or pigeon for that then you have to install the jasper in your computer and without that you will not be able to use the webcam.

It is possible that the device that you are using is not supported. If you want to check that then you can click here. This will redirect you to a page from where you will get list of Logitech webcam devices which will be helpful to recognize exacting models and the features that they support. UVC devices are well supported. There are many webcams that are UVC compatible so this will be best for you to select the best for you.

You can try to use MPlayer or VLC and see whether you it is able to see the video from the camera. If you are using the MPlayer then you can try the code below:

mplayer tv:// -tv driver=v4l2 device=/dev/video0

I did the same and lit works for me. You may have to edit the device here. If you are using videon then you can check that in /dev. Here n is a integer. And if you are using the VLC then you will have to "Open capture device.." and put the set in the correct device name intended for "Video device name".

I think that the driver for your webcam is not working properly or it may be corrupted and that is why you are getting problem with that. To fix this issue, you have to first uninstall the driver that is currently installed on your computer and install that again. See whether that solves the problem or not? If you found that the problem still persists then you can search for the latest driver available for your webcam. Download and install the driver to your computer and this will fix the issue if that is related to the driver problem.