Thread: Similar Sata laptop drive connectors as desktop

Similar Sata laptop drive connectors as desktop

Friends, I opened a laptop of mine for which the dealer told me that it is a "sata" hd but when I observed the pin then I found that it has the same connection pins like the other drives. I don’t know that why this is so. I am not very expert in this so can you please share your ideas about this so that it will be helpful for me to clear my mind.

Re: Similar Sata laptop drive connectors as desktop

I have not ever seen that any of the 2.5" notebook SATA drives put up for sale with anything but a regular SATA connector. This is because, at the end, it should not show any problem. There are some manufacturers which do something with the motherboard but that is a different matter. I am using the Dell laptop and I like the special cable requirement that they provide.

I would like to tell you that SATA 2.5" drives are using the connectors which are similar to the SATA 3.5. They are using the similar data cable and the power cable. The only difference that you will see on them is when manufacturer makes use of an extension/adapter which is attached to those headers. You can be able to take the adapter off. I hope that this will clear your mind a bit about this.

We are trying to reformat my friend’s laptop. He set a password on that one night and now he is not able to remember that. We are not able to reformat that because whenever we try to access the DVD drive then it refuses the access. It directly let us to the password field as it enters the Windows. I can just see the blue screen that says Welcome in the place of the box that syas that press alt+ctrl+del to go to the password prompt. It ignores the CD if we insert the bootable XP CD in that.

I am not having a good experience with the laptop so I am not able to guess what is the problem with that? Please advise us that what should we to fix this issue? Any helpful suggestion will be appreciative. Thank you.

As you told that this is a issue with the password then I know a trick by which you will be able to solve the issue. You do not need to format the drive and you will get out of the trouble without that. Just disconnect the battery and the AC power supply and keep that as it is for the whole day. Again insert the battery and connect the AC power supply. This will remove the password from your computer and you will be able enter into the system without the password. But remember that once you did this then you will also have to set the time for your computer because it will reset that also.

I have one suggestion that can help you to solve the issue. If you are using Windows XP then you have to boot into the normal Windows mode and this will let you to the user screen. Click on anywhere on the screen, you can double click on the top blue area, which will be fine. Bow press the CTRL and ALT keys and press the Del button twice quickly. This will open the old Windows login box. There you just have to type the "Administrator" as the username and keep the password field blank. Press OK and this will log you to the system. You will be able to change the password for all the users with that administrator account. This is the best way to solve this issue for you.

If you are having the XP home installed in your system then the Administrator account is disabled in the safe mode but if you are in the safe mode then there it is not disabled. So all you need to do is to boot your laptop in safe mode. To that restart your laptop and while it is getting loaded, you will have to continuously press the F8 key. This will let you on the page where you will see the option for the safe mode. Just select that from keyboard arrow and press Enter button. When it shows you the user lists then you have to select the administrator and press enter with the password field blank. Then go to control panel and change the password for the forgotten user account.