Thread: USB not identified/formatted with XBox 360

USB not identified/formatted with XBox 360

Few days back only I have purchased XBox 360 for playing on-line games, watching movies etc. I am having USB of the Kingston Company in which there is movie. I want to use my USB drive in the XBox 360 so that I can play the movie. But when I insert the USB drive, XBox 360 is unable to identify me USB is there any problem with my USB drive or I need to install some software so that my USB is identified. Provide me some suitable suggestions and techniques so that my USB is detected.

Re: USB not identified/formatted with XBox 360

XBox 360 is second video game console developed by Microsoft Company. It is having extra features and is an upgraded version of Xbox. XBox 360 is in the competition with Sony play station and Nintendo wii. XBox 360 is used for playing online games, watch TV shows, play music movies etc. when inserting USB into the Xbox 360 then the XBox 360 must identify that USB drive. If it is not identifying then there might be a possibility that your XBox 360 is not updated. You can update your XBox 360 in two ways they are:
    • Updating XBox 360 from XBox Live
      You can update XBox 360 through Xbox live. This is the best and simplest way of update. You XBox 360 console will be automatically updated to a new version whenever new update is released.
    • Updating through CD/DVD
      Insert the CD/DVD with the latest update into the XBox 360. The update will start automatically. Click on yes, update now and press A. wait for console to boot after the booting console will be updated.

USB should be identified when inserting onto your XBox 360. If the USB is not identified then there either your XBox 360 is not updated with the latest update or there is some hardware problem with your USB. To update the XBox 360 go to XBox Live. To hardware issues with XBox 360 you can follow the below steps:
    1. Try to turn off XBox 360 and then restarting it again.
    2. Turn off the power from the socket and unplug it for some time and then again plug it.
    3. Unplug the USB from the USB port and plug it again.

Below are the few techniques to repair your XBox 360
    • If there are a lot of devices connected then unplug all of them and plug it again one at a time.
    • Your devices may need separate power supply. So unplug the devices which are not in use because they may consume additional power.
    • You can also try to insert the USB drive into another USB port of XBox 360 and check it if it works.
    • Xbox 360 may not support some devices which are connected to it. You should read manual of Xbox 360 before connecting devices to it.

From the above steps I have resolved the problem of USB not getting identified by XBox 360. I am having Internet connection and I have downloaded some music from the Internet. But there is some data into my USB. I want to format my USB so that I can have the downloaded files into my USB. Is there any way of formatting USB with XBox 360. Also provide the steps to format the USB.

Formatting of USB through system is very easily done within carrying few steps. But these steps differ when formatting USB with XBox 360. Steps to format the USB with XBox 360 are given below:
    1. Turn off the XBox 360. Now you need to insert the USB drive into the USB port of XBox 360 which you want to format. Turn on the XBox 360. If you are already having the update of XBox 360 installed then follow the next step otherwise you need to update your XBox 360 with XBox Live. Connect to Xbox Live and update XBox 360 with the latest update. A window will appear saying the Xbox to restart to finish the update.
    2. Go to the XBox Menu. Select system setting and then select memory. A window will appear showing the list of all the storage devices.
    3. Choose USB drive and then select configure. It will ask for the confirmation. Select yes and the USB will be formatted. After formatting the USB drive will be listed in the memory of storage device.