Thread: Cannot detect a dead hard drive with Apple Hardware Test

Cannot detect a dead hard drive with Apple Hardware Test

Hi all,

I have some problem with my computer. I am not able to restart my computer fully and also cannot run the repair with the help of Disk utility. I am also not able to reinstall OS X to the harddrive volume this is because it is not able to list the volumes available on my computer.

To fix this issue, I tried to perform the hardware test on my computer which takes around 40 minutes to complete. I was selected the extended testing. But it shows that there is no trouble in the system. It should mention the hard drive space but that was also not mentioned. I think that the hard drive is busted but the test found no such problem. Do you have any idea or suggestion about this issue then please let me know. Thank you.

Re: Cannot detect a dead hard drive with Apple Hardware Test

I think that the hard drive that you are using is dead and that is why it is not getting detected by the hardware test. To check this, you should remove the hard disk from your computer and connect that with some other computer if possible. See whether it is getting detected there or not? If that is not getting detected that this will give you the clear idea that the hard drive that you are using is dead. You should try some recovery software and see whether that helps you or not.

As you told that you are not able to install the OS X to the hard drive in your computer. So there may be also problem with the installation CD that you are using to install it. That CD may be corrupted and that is why it is not able to get install in your hard drive. What you can do is, make other bootable CD and try to install the OS X from that CD. This time this will get installed without any issue is the problem is related to the corrupted CD. I with that this will help you to solve the problem in your case. I am saying you try this because I did the same when I was getting the similar problem with my computer and when I tried a new installation CD then it get installed without any problem. Good Luck!!!

You may not performing the hardware test on your system properly and that is why you are getting the problems like this. Therefore, here I am giving you the steps that you need to follow to use the Apple Hardware test.
    1. First of all you have to disconnect all the devices attached to your computer but not the power adapter.
    2. Restart the system by holding the D key on the keyboard.
    3. This will open the Apple Hardware test chooser and then you will have to select the language for your location.
    4. After that, click on the right arrow button or press the return key.
    5. This will open the main screen for the Apple Hardware Test. This may take about 45 minutes.
    6. Once you are done with that then you just have to follow the simple onscreen instructions by the test program.

If it detects any problem in the system then it will display an error code to you. You should make the note of the error codes. And if you found that this test do not detect any error then this may be the problem with any software on your computer.

My computer is not getting started and every time when I attempt to install that then it shows me some error message regarding disk. I can not give the message here because I am not able to read that. That message just comes and disappears within a fraction of second. To fix this issue, I tried to format the computer with Operating system disk (Windows XP home edition). When I tried to repair or continue then it shows me the message that says:
    Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program.
    Setup cannot continue. To quit setup, press F3.
    I hope that I will get the answer for this over here. Please reply.

I think that the hard drive that is there in your computer is not connected to the machine properly and that is why it is not able to detect the hard drive. To fix this what you should do is, just open the computer case and unplug the hard drive and plug that again properly and test that to see whether it is getting detected or not. If still you have problem with that then you can try to change the connecting cable for hard drive. It may be corrupted and that is why not providing the proper connection to it. Just give it a try and see whether it help you or not.

The problem that you told is seems that the hard drive controller that you have in your system is not having the driver for the Windows. I have seen many of such cases and that is from the SATA controller but this problem may be also being a RAID setup or an obscure product. You need to have the driver for this on a floppy disk. You should make sure that you have to press the F6 when it prompts you while doing the setup.