Thread: Building Own SATA Hard Drive Switch

Building Own SATA Hard Drive Switch

I have core 2 duo processor. My motherboard have the two SATA hard drive connectors. Can I connect the two SATA drive at a time? If I want to have the other SATA drive can I able to create low cost physical switch? How can I make use of the physical switch to select the two operating system at a time? is it posiible for me to connect the new physical switch for the new SATA hard drive? please provide the appropriate solution for it. thanx in advance

Re: Building Own SATA Hard Drive Switch

Interesting question dear, you may able to create the new physical switch to your mother board. It is possible for you to connect. After building and installing the switch, the thing you may try is to select the switch position before starting your system. It will automatically boot the selected drive. It possibly works by switching the power supply between the two drives. To work with this you need to enable your SATA drives in the Basic Input Output System (BIOS).

The one thing you may try is, not to connect the IDE drivers before you create and install the new switch in the motherboard. When you start the computer, the drive which is being selected by the switch is only drive that will have the power and will appear to you. The reason behind is all the SATA drivers are set to masters, the basic Input/output System can only see the available drivers and it will automatically boot to the new drive.

By offering power to any of the one drives you have to hook up, recreate the method of completely swapping the hard drive. Already the motherboard have multiple partitions and boot loader application. The computer automatically boot to the drive which is powered, though the motherboard have the only one drive with the operating system. If you want to maintain completely the single disk, then the simple physical switch makes it totally free.

Make use of the BIOS drive to select the boot drive. This is the thing you should have to do switch between the two operating system. I switch between the windows XP and VISTA by using the BIOS. There is no need to unplug the drives. If you have the enough SATA port to plug the more drive then there is no problem to plug the new SATA drives. Major of the computers have the "boot drive selection" option to the BIOS setup during the booting process.

I will prefer you to have Indus Technology IDEX switches. It is best product for switches. An IDEX switch provides the customer the five year warranty. The functionality of this product is to control IDE and the SATA from the same switches. If you work for colleges and major computer lab, then you will be handling the multiple machines. It is the only switches that can be controlled from the central point. It can be more helpful for you to operate.