Thread: Mini SD to USB Converter

Mini SD to USB Converter

Few days back my USB device got crashed due to power failure. I am having a Mini SD memory card. Now, I want that Mini SD memory card to be used as USB device for transferring data Because Mini SD is also a storage device. I want it to be plugged into the USB port of my system. Is there any way that can be used to build Mini SD to USB converter automatically. Is there any ready made device or software available that can convert it. Also I want to know more about the feature of Mini SD.

Re: Mini SD to USB Converter

Mini-SD technology was introduced three companies namely Matsushita, SanDisk and Toshiba. Mini SD cards have been designed for the new generation of mobile devices that require high capacity and speed in a small form factor. It has built-in features that allow user to play, download and secure the data. USB device which we use has only four connections of 2 positive and 2 negative wires. While Mini SD has 9 connections. To build Mini SD to USB is possible but you need to use some hardware devices such as microprocessor and card reader.

Mini SD is a device that allow user to store download and secure their data. I have never heard of building USB from Mini SD card. It is possible with SDIO but instead you can go with standard Mini SD interface. The normal Mini SD is different from USB. For USB you need a device host to run the bus which Mini SD don't provide but are provided with other devices. You need to have a complete external USB controller and then you need to find a way to communicate with SD bus.

For converting Mini SD to USB you will require a host to run the USB. Depending on how fast you want you can have a Mini USB which is of 9 wires. Connecting this Mini SD to the microprocessor which can behave like a USB host or you will require it to connect to a chip with USB host support which will hold the USB flash drive. Now you will also have to identify the card by the processor which redirects i.e. reads and writes to USB drives.

It is possible to build Mini SD to USB if your device supports cards running in SPI mode. Also you can easily adapt USB to SPI. All SD cards have an inbuilt feature support all modes. But they don’t support all the devices.

Steps to convert Mini SD to USB are as follows:

1. Purchase a USB memory card reader that supports Mini SD.
    2. Insert the Mini SD card into the USB card reader.
    3. Insert the USB memory card reader into USB port on the PC. You can see the icon in the taskbar and a beep when inserting device and your system recognizes.
    4. Open My Computer to read to letter for USB memory card reader.
    5. Click on the letter of USB memory card reader to open it. If you can transfer the data then the completion is successful.