Thread: Single Faster RAM vs more number of RAMs

Single Faster RAM vs more number of RAMs

I have an Asus P5W-DH Deluxe motherboard on which I have attached 4 sticks of 2gb DDR 800 crucial basllistix and after 2 years, I am facing the problem on this system. I have scanned the motherboard which didn't showed any problem so it seems to be something with the RAM as it might have gone incompatible or faulty in some ways. Now I guess I need to change the RAM of this system, So which should I buy. I mean to say that shall I buy a 2 sticks of 2gb 1066 RAM or 2 sticks of 4gb ddr800 kingston?

Re: Single Faster RAM vs more number of RAMs

I guess it won't be making much difference whether you attach the single but larger ram or you put the multiple rams of small capacity. Though there would be difference between the performance of both of them but that can be negotiated as it won't be noticeable by the normal users unless and until they test the ram by using some testing softwares. But still I would like to suggest you buying the larger ram if the RAM slot is supporting for the same.

High speed RAM are generally used by an overclockers who keeps on overclocking their system's performance. Actually they try to utilize each and every bit of speed provided by your RAM. I will say that the More Ram you attach to your system, More faster the applications would be running, So I suggest for More RAMs instead of Larger RAM if you are not an overclocker. Now you may decide what you want to buy.

Miserably, there isn’t any simple respond to this question. How much sticks you install is mainly depends on the type of RAM your particular motherboard supports. If it is a dual-channel RAM then I would suggest you install a pair of the same sticks at a time. All modules must be of the equivalent speed and latency or else the faster ones will run with the performance of the slowest in the collection. Though, there it won’t be useful in putting all the slots with smaller-capacity ram sticks, as disparate to lesser ram sticks of high capacity.

What matters is the total capacity of the RAMs which has been attached to the motherboard and not the number of RAMs. I have noticed that the faster RAMs are not good for the better performance of an Audio. So I would be recommending you to use the multiple RAMs on your system but make sure that they are identical to each other which would be generating best performance out of it.

Best way is to use all the slots of the RAM on your motherboard with its full capacity to get the most out of your RAM sticks and it is true that the identical RAMs would be helping in much ways as if you have attached the two different sized ram then the faster one won't be able to give its full performance due to the another slower ram. I think it would be better to go buying the Two 4Gb rams which would be enough to play high configured games.

I would be recommending you to use the faster and identical rams on your motherboard. Unless you are running any server, You won't be needing much faster RAMs on your system still it has been mentioned in the conventions that the RAM on the motherboard should be similar to each other if there are two and same applies to the three RAMs.