Thread: Portable Hard disk not working in my computer.

Portable Hard disk not working in my computer.

I am buying a 300Gb 2.5" Portable Hard disk and since before last two week, it works on my not on Desktop. Troubleshooting so far. check all the USB ports of Desktop, all are working all right Keyboard, Mouse, Pen drive, etc. Installed a PCI - USB card and checked, once more the Hard disk didn’t work but have a rest worked. I contain a USB hub manager bundle by means of Mother board , install it on Mother board but Hard disk didn’t work. The first time while it stopped working, I put it on a fresh USB port and restart my Computer. It work very well But just the once removed, it didn’t work even after rebooting a lot of times. Like this, it work on 6 USB ports and currently I am left with none. I booted Linux instead of Windows, but not anything worked. The Hard disk doesn’t yet turn when I connect it. Immediately the light glow. I really risky regarding my Hard disk. Giving me good solution.

Re: Portable Hard disk not working in my computer.

I also faced this problem in my portable Hard disk. it sounds similar to the system just can't supply enough power to on Hard disk from its your USB ports for the drive. either the drive or the Mother board don't quite comply among the USB spec. (0.5A for usb1 & 2 or 0.9A for usb3)but I'd have likely the PCI USB card you set in to contain worked. Have you got a powered USB hub you can connect the Hard disk . because some times USB power not enough to on the hard disk. And with out power your computer cannot detect the hard disk. This power issue come from mother board. I suggested to you checked the USB slot giving on mother board.

You know whether it is power-driven or not. It’s just a USB Slot you got with Mother board. You plugged the USB Slot wire on Mother board and it started working. However hard disk didn’t work. Before You say Hard disk was working on the similar PC. immediately stopped up last week. It’s a buffalo Hard disk.I suspected the same thing, that power is not sufficient thought of Purchase a new USB cable but got mystified whether cable only is faulty. From the near store i was receiving Belkin USB-Micro USB 2.0 cable. I think problem is weird that I am telling you buying a new USB wired. To connect your computer to hard disk.
    Last edited by mathews; 02-11-2010 at 03:08 AM.

You got the cable with the portable drive have one plug at the computer end or two I've establish that in order to obtain 2.5" portable drives to work dependably you often need to use one of these (USB A to mini-B cable that draws power from two USB ports). After this I am telling you You got cable from Hard Disk is lost. You buy a new one cable to comfortable to your Hard disk, or I suggest you just checked your hard disk to another computer. Definitely is worked.