Thread: Unusual concurrent hard disk drive failure

Unusual concurrent hard disk drive failure

I own 30 servers on the network to host number of my clients. As all the work generates large amount of data and that is the reason why we use number of hard disc to save that data on many databases. The thing here is that everything was going well until yesterday when there was a concurrent HDD failure. Within a minute five hard drivers were failed. I don’t know what the problem is and please help me in getting rid of it. Also let me know how to recover my data that was stored in that hard disk. Are the hard disks of no use now? Whether I have to buy a new one. Please help me in solving the problem and I am worried a lot because half of my work is stopped.

Re: Unusual concurrent hard disk drive failure

First make sure that all your other drives are working fine. Are you confident that they have physically damaged. Because it may have also happened that the data corruption has forced it to fail. The thing here us that you have to follow the data recovery modules if the hard disks drives are corrupted due to the data corruption. So what you have to do here is just try and attache the same drive to any other system ans see to whether the problem is occurring again. If yes than you have to replace the HDD it self.

This problem is due to the high voltage going in to the PSU. Now hope that it is not the physical damage because if the hard disk is physically damaged than you have to entirely replace the HDD with any new one. Now the first thing you have to do here is that remove that hard disks from the server and then send it to any hardware engineer for checking I hope that he or she will definitely solve your problem.

I have gone through your problem and it seems to me that this problem can occur if all the disks are in the same drive. And if in this case the drives are in the same rack then it is not good for you. I think that the sensations that are going through the rack and making the hard disk to vibrate have caused the problem. If the platters were damaged by sensations at their reverberation frequency, it would be quite understandable that the disassembley of the drives has caused it to happen.