Thread: System powers only for 1-2 seconds.

System powers only for 1-2 seconds.

I have just assembled a new rid with the following configuration.
    • Motherboard: ASUS P55D-E Pro
    • Processor: i7 860, stock HSF
    • RAM: Patriot DDR3 1600 3x2GB
    • OCZ ModStream 700W PSU
    • Case fans: 3 120mm

There were some parts of the earlier system that are definitely functional. My problem is that, when I press the power button on my computer then the fans in the computer spins for a while and it stops. Machine cannot be processed further. I cannot here any beep or anything after that. I get the same thing when I press the MemOK button which is on the motherboard. I have not seen any such problem earlier and therefore I don’t have any idea about that. If you know anything about this issue then please share that with us. I will be thankful to all for their replies. Thank you very much in advance,

Re: System powers only for 1-2 seconds.

This problem may occur if there are any shorts between the motherboard and the case. You should check for any such accidental shorts. The common reason for this is that a metal standoff which is situated someplace that the board does not have the mounting hole and the unusual offender includes the damaged peripheral interconnects port.

This seems to be the problem with the OCZ PSU. I think that using any other PSU will work for you. I don’t have any idea that the PSU that you are using previously is not working on your new system. You can try by using another PSU and this may solve the problem. This was a power supply problem when I was getting the problem like that.

If your computer refuses the power up and shut down itself then the problem is with the PSU. PSU failure is the main reason behind this. There are many other possible symptoms that you can see on PSU failure. Many of you can see the slow decrease in stability. I have seen a case where some internal component exploded that causes the PSU died. It was creating popping noise and there was some smoke from PSU and that refused the power up.

Before going for the things like motherboard or the PSU you should check for the power cable that you are using. As you told that you are building a new rig and you are also using some parts from your old system. This system may also include the power cable. Just check for that. You can replace that cable with another cable and see if that is able to solve the problem or not?