Thread: Dell optiplex 960 does not power on

Dell optiplex 960 does not power on

I reside in California. I had purchased Dell optiplex 960 system around 10 months back. My residence area is prone to natural calamities such as cyclones and hurricanes. One evening I was working and suddenly there was a thunder storm and lightning. Each and every electronic device that runs on electricity powered off. When power came back,I tried to power on my my computer, but it would not power on. I checked the system from each and every side if there is any loose connection, but the connection looked fine to me. Can the system's status and working conditions checked through the lights and LEDs . Please suggest me any suggestion to this problem.

Re: Dell optiplex 960 does not power on

You mentioned your area was hit with a thunder storm, then there is a possibility that the power supply might have gone. If you reside in such natural calamity prone location then it is always recommended that you connect your system with a surge protector. If the surge protector is malfunctioning then unplug any of the devices connected to the surge protector and connect it to the wall socket, if it turns on then the surge protector has gone bad and you will have to replace it with a new one.

Yes the working status of Dell systems can be checked from their LED's and Diagnostic lights. Turn on the system by pressing the power button , check the light at the front panel of the system tower , if no light is visible, then the power supply or the SMPS (Switch more power supply) is gone bad and needs a replacement. The system light of the front panel of a working computer is always solid green in color. The system can also be checked with the beep codes that can be heard while the computer turn on.

Yes the working conditions of Dell systems can be recognised by their power lights.A Blinking green power light at the front panel indicates that the computer as at a suspended state and can be retrieved back to the normal mode by just moving the mouse and tapping few keys on the keyboard. Solid yellow power light states that the system board is faulty. If the power lights are blinking and yellow in color and means the power supply and the motherboard is faulty. The system lights of the front panel and beep codes can be read together to diagnose the issue properly. The power lights of a normally functioning system is always solid green in color.