Thread: How to delete array from SRCS28x RAID Controller

How to delete array from SRCS28x RAID Controller

I have a RAID 5 configuration. I have 4 hard drive in this configuration and all of them are SATA drives. I initially had those drives on ports 0 - 3. Since I recently changed the machine, I had moved all the content to new ports 4 - 7. Now since my new machine setup has been completed I reconfigured it to port 0 - 3. Now the problem is that I am unable to delete the previous array which is at port 4 - 7. How can I delete the array from the SRCS28x RAID controller?

Re: How to delete array from SRCS28x RAID Controller

Did you deleted the existing raid configuration from your drives? You have to first delete the current configuration and then only you can create a new one. It this isn't possible then you can make a new raid configuration and it will remove the existing one and replace it with the new one. The RAID controller will automatically rebuild with the current spare.

I would suggest you to use a replacement RAID controller to remove an existing array from your SRCS28x RAID Controller. Put the new controller into the system. Press Ctrl+G to enter into the RAID controller BIOS. Select the configuration saved on the hard drives. Save the configuration and restart your computer. The configuration depends on how you want to configure your new system.

You have to repair your RAID array to delete the array from the raid configuration. To do this first create a back-up of your data before doing anything else. Then to repair it, go either into the RAID controller BIOS or into the Intel RAID Web Console. Mark the old hard drive offline. Add the new hard drive into the system. Click the button Scan Devices. Click on the hard drive which has been marked offline. Mark the hard drive as Rebuild. Press Go. Exit the RAID BIOS or Intel RAID Web Console.

You can definitely delete the array from your server. But first keep in mind one thing that you do not remove the drive if it already exist in the raid configuration. You have to first remove it from the raid configuration and then only it can be safely removed. Otherwise there are changes where you may loose your important data unnecessarily. So to delete the array from the raid controller, go to RAID BIOS Console or RAID Web Console. Choose the logical drive under "Array-0" in "Logical View" window, and then choose "Delete" in the operation panel.