Thread: Hard Drive Churning sound

Hard Drive Churning sound

While using the computer system my hard drive CONSTANTLY CHURN in windows Vista operating system. I have Windows Vista Ultimate in my computer system. When I go away from my computer and come back to it after more than an hour later and the hard drive is CHUGGIN AWAY. Why this problem is occurring on my computer system, and how do I discontinue it. At this speed the will occur from the hard drive then it will get burn it out in no time. Please help me out from this trouble. Can anyone know the solution of this problem? Thank in Advance.

Re: Hard Drive Churning sound

The very first thing you must do is to take the back up of your hard drive it is possible that it could be weak spot. After taking the backup of your hard drive let’s initially run the Disk Defragmenter, the hard drive might have become very fragmented and wants to be defragged. By which you can able to get that your hard disk is working or not.
    To run the Disk Defragmenter do the following
    1. Press Start
    2. In ‘Start Search’ type Disk Defragmenter, push Enter
    3. In the Disk Defragmenter window you can Press the “Defragment now” and then select the disk that you need to defrag. You can also setup a timetable for normal defrags, possibly like once in a two days.

I can’t able to check it out either my hard disk is working or not on my computer system. It does not show me anything while doing the above steps about the defragmentation. Is there any other way to check the defragmentation of hard disk by which I can able to check it out either my hard disk is working properly or not on my computer system.

To check about the defragmentation of your hard disk on your computer system. You can go for the Microsoft link there you will able to get the more information about Disk Defragmentation submit to the links programmed on defragmentation? To improve the performance by defragmentation you can go for our hard disk defragmentation through that you can able to improve the performance of your hard disk.

If you want to check the hard disk from error then you can view to this link which I have listed beneath for the steps to do so in your Windows Vista. These all steps are about as extreme as our support limitations will allow you to get all the necessary help. It would be a good idea to maybe take your computer system into a restricted repair shop if you go on with to have this problem, they would be able to supplementary in depth check your hard drive and find out more completely if it is failing or if something other is going on. But, be confident to backup anything important from that hard drive in holder it is on its last leg before it’s too late.

Do you have any anti-virus program installed into your computer system such as pc-cillin? It so it could be position to scan your hard drive for a specific interval of time on your computer system. Because I was having the pc-cillin and I had faced the same problem with my hard drive as you and it was making my computer system to work very slowly down but I have make it disabled to handle automatic hard disk scans of my hard disk.
    Last edited by RoninBlade; 24-10-2010 at 06:21 AM.

The constant grinding of the HDD could be due to several reasons from the software side:
    1. anti-virus scanning in the background. Disable the scan and/or replace the anti-virus software that you use. I run Avira free edition and it's really good.

2. Windows indexing the drive. Disable indexing (although, it does speed up searches if the drive is properly indexed, so there are pros and cons).

3. Windows defragger working in the background. This thing is s.l.o.w. and inefficient, so it can go on a for a while. Replace it with a good auto defragmenter that is fast, defrags all files automatically and prevents fragmentation.

From the hardware side, if your drive is on the verge of failure, it can be very slow and work continuously. Run diagnostics with the HDD manufacturer's free diagnostic utilities.