Thread: Seagate momentus XT noise problem

Seagate momentus XT noise problem

I have recently purchased the Seagate momentus XT hard drive and now I have started facing the problems. Initially it was working properly but from two days I am hearing some noise from it. I can work properly but still I am having doubt that it might cause damage to some hardware peripherals. Also when I open the cabinet and touch it, the temperature seems to be very high. I am not able to understand why this is happening?! So thought that you members must be knowing very well about the Seagate momentus XT. Also, I had to format the hard drive and I was not the most 'popular despite not being more' above the special software installed, still the problem is persisting. Some of my friends told me that there is some issues with these models. Really this model is having any issues? So inform me sooner, so that I can exchange the drive. Anyone using this, please share some opinions here (will get idea).

Re: Seagate momentus XT noise and heat problem

Looking a bit in the network, the problem would seem to depend on the integrated anti-shock protection system (G-Force Protection Anti-Shock). In such scenarios, I would like to suggest that it is possible to disable the clicking with "hdparm". In a review I read that the defragment is useful for the mechanical part, but remove references to the data with frequent access. So not recommended to defrag frequently. I was asked if he can keep in enclosures, from 5400 rpm with other problems at all there are none with this opinion? I bought this HD and actually loads a bit heavy programs faster and even the OS is a worthy substitute WD3200BEKT I had before. So not that bad, I think so... I use v4.3.1 MyDefrag that in the options also for defragmenting flash hd ssd, it should be good for the Momentus XT.

I was also interested in this disc I can sum up but now all that has been said in a piecemeal fashion is right, all the most important part is that the hd has a sw that I can learn regardless of the common tasks of ' user and the "pre-charge" at the there ssd a copy anyway (truth is indeed in the original part) in the mechanical part that has the common features of hd for mechanical where no one can expect performance out of a 7200 rpm for some things. Also in the ssd is written there permanently, just change your habits and that part we will find the app or data often. I would be bought for working with AutoCAD frequently by opening a virtual machine (see I'm on Mac) having at hand early start and run but maybe I'm dreaming of a acts mino much. I read a lot of excitement on foreign forum but I do not know .... In my case I would spend a 5000bevt wd 5400 rpm spindle and just maybe something with a 7200 profit, but I do not know what the other Xt.Tra with my Mac is Gathering use very bright and perhaps with more rpm, and heat might have discrete problem..... Do you think that 5400 would be better with intensive use....???

Or even reversed - if you need for your opinion necessarily faster startup, etc.? Although you see above, they do not necessarily need? Even if my next Storage SSD is another alternative but I welcome the new intimately. Because competition is announced here on out so far was skim fat and after the first wave are also the 0.2 x € / GB will not be the last word. Time spun into the blue: Pick For Linux Live distribution gives the file systems mounted on the RO-media only the changed data and stuff can be retrofitted for each OS. By analogy HD DVD and HD ~ ~ SSD I come to the conclusion that hybrid drives are only an episode. The possibilities of the OS to optimize the traffic should be much bigger, I would therefore like to have a HD and a (really fast) SSD in a housing, but as two separate devices.

The two disks are placed outdoors on a small foam pad to limit the transmission of vibrations. In idle (resting) or burn, they are very discrete and quiet. The sound is light and pleasant. In the event that they take place in a soundproof box, they will forget. The tests were conducted in the open air and after three sessions of PCMark Vantage HDD, about 15 minutes per session. The rotational speed of each disk is identical to 7200 rpm. The Barracuda XT 2TB with four trays advantage dissipates heat (6-7 ° C higher than the Momentus XT), it is necessary to provide a greater cooling. Placed in a poorly ventilated casing, it is certain that this value will be increased. The Momentus XT is wiser on this issue but still shows 41°C. In a Mini PC or laptop, you must take this into consideration. In Idle, the Momentus line makes sparks with energy needs very well controlled (vital for a laptop and autonomy). The Momentus XT is more expensive than the previous generation 7200.3 with a consumption of 1.21 watts in Idle (0.65 watts in standby) and 3.8 Watt 0.96 Watt burn cons and 3.18 Watts. With these values we can calculate the financial cost and carbon footprint of running over a year. Our working hypothesis is a daily duration of use of 6 hours while the CO2 equivalent for the production of 1 kWh is set at 43 grams (mean 2009, according to EDF). It is no secret, they are both directly related to power consumption. It is always interesting to realize the important difference with the XT Barracuda 2TB consumption is multiplied by more than 5 in Idle (7.05 against 1.21 Watts Watts) and 2.6 times in Burn (10, 09 Watts 3.79 Watts cons). As a result, operating costs are also multiplied by the same factors as the carbon footprint.

Its been a while since we were told that SSDs will soon be "great service" but the cost of flash memory that does not drop I wonder when these discs will be available. This type of disc may be a good alternative while waiting for the explosion of SSD. This first version does not necessarily a good deal, the key will be whether it can evolve quickly carry more flash memory to increase its performance in maintaining a price below its the 200th can be interesting if not most people wait until the fall price of SSD (like me).

I can not understand your reaction. hard drives in trays are still weaker than the SSD, right? The only major problem is the price of SSDs, it's clear .. but to use it is impressive reactivity. I am a bit disappointed by the speed of reading Momentus XT. I really want to install an HD instead of my superdrive. Future MacBook Pro i5 will be equipped with a SSD of 128 GB primary drive. You advise me as what HD 500 GB / 1 TB SSD, but not with a super-speed reading / writing?Well, it goes into the Mac Mini, but nothing I read indicates that the user experience is improved. Just that it goes faster in software benchmarks. I did, I did and I would, but for me they hardly represent the real usage and that's what I blame this test does not indicate how, web users, office , photos, games, etc. This hybrid disc behaves in front of a SSD! And I read the account records of users complaining Because the nice colored ball is still there. Something that SSDs tend to disappear forever I suspect that for the data often used here should not be too bad for the party SSD, but what it gives for info on the game that are set?

The truth is that no bad pint (Include 4 GB SLC Nand Flash memory) at least according to information from its official site, since these discs such hybrids include (Using Nand Flash memory because if you use the mechanics will have a similar performance to any hard drive of 7,200 rpms with similar services) at:
    • Access time of about 0.4 ms.
    • In reading and 128 blocks of 4 KB.
    • In the writing of blocks of 4 KB.
    • In 64 KB IOPS.

Viewing these results is possible because there is a mechanical substitute for high-end disks of 10,000 and 15,000 RPMs (Velociraptor Drives & SCSI / SAS) with a good relation price / capacity and price / performance but do not get to the SSD.
    • A 7,200-Rpms Hitachi, 500 GB with 16 MB buffer.
    • A WD Velociraptor 300 GB and 10,000 rpms with 32 MB of cache.
    • The XT Momentus 500 GB (Despite being a hard disk "traditional" of 7,200 rpms with 32 MB buffer, has 4 GB of Nand Flash memory).
    • A SSD SiliconEdge Blue WDC 256 GB MLC memory.
    As to where to find them, as it appears in Alternate and have at least 320 GB model (for about 123 €) and the 500 GB model (For a about 148 €), by the difference in price almost better than 500 GB (There is also a 250 GB version). Certainly a "catch" from these discs is that they are 2.5" so for use in desktop would need an adapter 2.5" @ 3.5". This also happens with the SSD as who are mostly 2.5".

The dilemma with that line of opinion is that this drive is not just HDD + SSD, the algorithms that the drive uses to read and write data is on immensely dissimilar ball field. This drive is an SSD with HDD potentials and reimbursement sometimes. Until everyone understands that, they (consumers) will expect SSD recital at least some of the time, which is a consequence of poor perceptive. Of course, after all the technical articles on SSDs and HDDs as a result, I'm amazed that would people ever wait for a performance any SSD HDD with flash. The flash is just like nitrous in a car, shot to 100 does not offer 100hp, 60hp but maybe instead. A good nudge, but not the real thing.