Thread: How to resize Time Machine Partition ?

How to resize Time Machine Partition ?

I have a system with 500GB external hard drive. This 500GB external hard drive is being partitioned for Time Machine and a separate data area. For the external storage space i have also purchased another drive. I am willing to repartition my 500GB external hard drive for the reason that Time Machine has the whole drive. So basically what i want to do is to delete the data partition and resize the Time Machine partition for making the use of whole drive. So can any one suggest me, that how i do this thing? If any one knows even some thing about this, then please help me. Do provide the suggestion as i will be waiting for it. Thanks.

Re: How to resize Time Machine Partition ?

I will recommend you to try this solution.You need to copy the Time Machine folder to somewhere else in the system where it is safe. Then you need to reformat the drive and after doing this you require to set it as the time machine drive. Now you again need to copy your time machine folder back. After doing this you check the output and see what you get. I have tried this solution and it is working for me. Even you can try this and see the difference. I hope that it will help to you. If you have some more problems then you can reply me back.

Even i want to repartition my hard drive again. I want to do this thing for the same reason as above. I did tried a solution for that. I have make the use of disk utility option. But the disk only allows me to reformat by the looks of things and does not allow me to change the partition sizes. So my problem is not getting solved.I have even tried the solution which is given above, but even it did not helped me. I require a help from you. Is there any one who have knowledge about this issue. Please provide me the appropriate help.

The same problem even i am having with my system. I am also having a External drive of 500GB. I have made two partition on it. First partition for TM as it is of 320 GB and the data partition on partition 2 for 180GB. I have deleted the second partition from my hard drive, but still i am not able to resize TM partition 1. Till now do any one have founded any method to resizing the partition for Time Machine. If yes then suggest me the solution for that. I am looking for the solution. Thanks.

Thanks for the reply. I tried your solution and was able to solve my issue by trying that particular solution. I did followed each and every steps given by the Orton and surprisingly it did solved my issue. So once gain this is my thanks to Orton fro giving such a nice reply as it helped me. Others who are also getting the same problem can try this solution as it might even help you.

Daizy Guest

You can resize partition of TM via third party tool. I have used Stellar Partition manager. It is reliale and easy to use.