Thread: Automatically remove USB devices on Windows startup

Automatically remove USB devices on Windows startup

Here, I have multiple partitions on my computer (Windows and Linux). And on Windows, I shall assign logical letters. T for Tempo, I for Images, V for Video etc and among them: O for Tools.

On one of my PC (Vista), the system automatically goes to me: N, O, P and Q (corresponding to a multi-card reader). So when I put my external USB drive (on which my other PC is mounted in O) => it must first withdraw "NOPQ" because otherwise it takes the first free letter and my links no longer work.

My question is: Is there a command in console mode to remove the USB device. It would allow me to remove it from the Windows startup by putting it in a BAT file.

Re: Automatically remove USB devices on Windows startup

Rather than dismantling it every time, just redefine the letter that is assigned.

Go to Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Storage - Disk Management. Right click on your drive O, and choose "Change Drive Letter ...". Assign a new drive letter.

Normally whenever you start this new letter that it would take is the one which is free. Please note: It will probably do the same thing with external hard disk to anything, once the letter O is selected.

Yes, yes, but still ... it is 4 letters. And the list grows excessively in the Explorer. Especially if I put the printer, it is +1, the camera one also, etc. Outside, the card reader, I do not use. So why are letters taken unnecessarily (and probably in the wake of resources).

If you did not use the card reader open the case and remove it. Otherwise, open the device manager and uninstall the corresponding devices. I am also surprised that you see the disks corresponding to the card reader mounted in explorer if it has no cards inserted. These discs are usually seen as removable disks, so if there is no card in the corresponding disk drive it does not appear in Explorer.

The fact is that the printer has "U" letter assigned (who knows why?). But U have nothing, so it does not bother me. To disconnect, of course, but if one day I need it, we have to reconnect etc.

The advantage of the commands in console mode is that it allows to mount/unmount at will. I do it with network shares (Samba or Windows). For example when I put my laptop (Linux) on my network, it allows me to update one relative to another. And for that, too, I'm booked Letters.

So if I could:

1. Prevent automatic mounting unchecked
    2. But to mount it if necessary

It would be really ideal.

I found the solution to the device manager rather interesting. Instead of uninstalling the device in question, you can just disable it. Reactivation is usually quick and without further intervention. According to me if you disable the device, reboot the machine it is always off, so that if you uninstall it you propose to reinstall every boot (at least to check the option but resettlement is more annoying when you want to use the device in question!)