Thread: USB port not working after hibernate on Intel DP55KG

USB port not working after hibernate on Intel DP55KG

I have recently installed the latest Bios version for DP55KG. My problem is that whenever I hibernate my system, after restart the USB port does not work. This affect a lot of time my word since I am unable to use my USB keyboard or mouse. I am under Windows Vista 64 bit. Do you think I should return to my previous bios version to resolve this problem?

Re: USB port not working after hibernate on Intel DP55KG

Go to Start, type Device Manager and then press Enter. Expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers" and then look for "USB Root Hub" in that list. For every item in the list right-click on it and click Properties. Go to the Power Management tab, and untick the check box "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power." Now restart your computer.

I think the BIOS was corrupt or buggy and thus your USB device got broken, i.e. not able to connect. Also report about the same BIOS version if you are sure about it was installed properly. This will make Intel to take some actions if a lot of users have noticed the same problem. If however you are the alone then it clearly indicates that your motherboard or USB port has died and you need to replace it.

I don't think this is related to motherboard BIOS or USB device or something similar. As there was no problem with the previous bios versions of the motherboard this cannot be a hardware-related. I have never come across with this kind of problem until now and so it seems more to be a Vista problem only. However, you can also try out the Power Management fix to make sure the motherboard is not disabling the USB device.

If you regularly insert and remove your USB devices again and again, you might result in suspending your USB port. This is what happens when you hibernate your computer. You can avoid this by disabling SelectiveSuspend in Windows Registry. Open Windows Registry, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\USB. Create a new key with name “DisableSelectiveSuspend”. Assign it the dword value of "00000001". Save it and close the registry. You may have to restart your computer.

If you exchange one device for another while your computer is on hibernate, the new device may not work properly after your computer resumes. This issue occurs because the USB hub driver (Usbhub.sys) does not account for ports that are relatively slow to assert themselves on the USB bus during resume operations. To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Windows Vista.