Thread: Playing .mkv files on Windows Media Extender

Playing .mkv files on Windows Media Extender

I hope there are still people around that use the Linksys Media Extender box. I have one connected to the only TV in my house that doesn't have an internet connection and I'm trying to play ripped movies from an external hard drive. The movie format I'm trying to play is .mkv. The movies play fine on the PC using Windows media player since I found the right codecs to use but the media extender keeps telling me it doesn't have the right codec. Is there a way to load codecs on the media extender that I don't know about? Is the fact the movies play fine on the PC not relevant? I'd love to read some feedback from some of you smart people out there.

Re: Playing .mkv files on Windows Media Extender

I think that you will have to download the codec for the Windows Media Extender. According to me, there should not be any other way to sort out this problem. So try to update the latest codecs that are required for your Linksys Media Extender box. You will able to check the codecs on http://www.free-codecs.com/download/WMP_Tag_Support_Extender.htm

Techpav Guest

Re: Playing .mkv files on Windows Media Extender

Windows 7 media center does not support MKV's out of the box. You should convert mkv to mpeg2/wmv.