Thread: Alienware M17x - R2 Killing the SSD performance

Alienware M17x - R2 Killing the SSD performance

I am getting issues with the SSD on my Alienware M17x. It is a old SSD and the same was working fine on my Windows XP laptop. When I move some number of movies together directly in the SSD it takes a very long time to move on. The system is killing the performance of the drive and the same is not really working with any solution. Does there is a way to optimize the same.

Re: Alienware M17x - R2 Killing the SSD performance

Solid State Drive are made up on flash memory which is a a kind of big memory stick if you really want to simplify. Unlike a conventional hard disk there are no moving parts. It is possible that your SSD is quiet old and due to which you are not getting better performance from that. Alienware systems are quiet nice and gave out better performance. The issue can be with your SSD.

SSD's are still very expensive at current time for the public if you go for a repair or buy a new one. The storage capacity that currently exists on the market is equal to what you get in the internal one. It is right due to older standard you find such issue of slow performance. Try to format the same out in NTFS if the same is in FAT. Update the firmware of your system.

There are two technology which confronts the SLC and MLC. The performance level that not all created equal. Also you must know that it does not accept all NCQ command reorganization on the fly. And the second thing I also want to tell you that it does not support all the AHCI and thus no possibility of hot-swap. I had updated the firmware of my system which has improved the performance a little.

The one thing good about SSD is that it has no moving parts in the same. It is a nonvolatile memory flash. The problem with this type of memory is that normally the setting to do with the operating system and for that there is a tweak which is released by the software provider. Even with the new purchase of SSD there are some software's and drivers provided for the same.

To optimize the SSD under Windows OCZ Technology has released a small utility to tweak the configuration. This tweak is really released and it is working for Windows XP, Vista, 2000 and Seven. Windows uses your hard drive and SSD to the best of its capabilities and ease your Windows. So better check for the some hotfix for your drive which might fix your performance issue.

Currently, even if SSDs are very efficient, operating systems have a big problem. They use such storage systems based on flash memory as a disk drive. With Windows 7 and the latest version of the ATA standard, it will be different and the system could be optimized for SSD. The read and write speed is also the most recommended to check for the same.