Thread: Dell Studio 1558 fan problem

Dell Studio 1558 fan problem

I have recently got my Dell Studio 1558 laptop but it started showing me a lot of problems. At first I noticed some heating problem. I restarted the computer and everything was resolved. However at time I noticed this problem a lot of times and so I called up Dell support team to get the solution but they asked me to update the BIOS to fix this. I did that, although my system was new, and according to them that's the only solution to it. According to me, its not the motherboard but the fans which are unable to cool my system. Can you tell me if I am correct and how to solve this problem?

Re: Dell Studio 1558 fan problem

In general, it takes a long time for the fan to clot or malfunction but if it is surrounded by dust then that may be once of the reason of computer overheating. The fan speed can also be controlled by BIOS which is yet another reason for fan performance. To solve the dust problem, you can use air compressor or vacuum cleaner to remove it completely. For fan speed, you have to fiddle around BIOS settings.

To check what is major reason behind heating issue, use some software that monitor the CPU temperature. You can download CPU-Z for this. However, if you think that the problem is certainly related to fan speed then use SPEEDFAN software to manage it. By the way, does this happen in normal use or just when you are playing games? May be the problem is related to your graphics card.

I have came across a similar issue online with someone. The person was having random shut off problem. He tried to update the BIOS and checked system components but nothing solved the problem. After contacting Dell, they replaced his motherboard and heatsink but that didn't solved the problem. At last he took it to the local repair shop and after a lot of research he found the problem which comes out from the capacitors.

Try to look into the bios and turn off CPU fan control setting. This allows the heatsink fan to run normally and constantly and let it run at full loud speed at times. If you have overclocked anything then bring it to its defaults to ignore overclocking related problem. This generally happens if the system is poorly designed with lots of sharp pressed metal and poor rigidity.

Overheating problem is related to either the CPU fan not working properly or the CPU and heat sink is not having proper contact thereby hindering maximum heat dissipation. Also make sure your computer case has properly air flow preventing hear problems. Reconfirm if the CPU fan is working properly. All you can do is use a fresh, thin and uniform coat of heat sink compound at the top of the processor and the heat sink that come in contact with each other.

bought my dell 1558 brand new and it started over heating after a year of daily use . . it got so hot that my finger tips got 3rd degree burns on the key pad . . done hours of reading forums and looking for answers how to sort the problem and found nothing that worked. . took apart my laptop and found no dirt or dust in the cooling system. . what i done is start from zero . . formatted my hard drive to completely empty. . deleted the partitions reinstalled win7 ultimate. . used the original drivers and utility software that came with laptop . . got no partitions and that sorted my problems. . hope it works for you . .