Thread: How can i solve WDElements 1TB External Drive problem

How can i solve WDElements 1TB External Drive problem

I am having the windows XP SP 3 installed on my system. I want to connect the WDElements external hard drive to my operating system .But when i connect the drive ,it tells that the drive is ready to use ,but My Computer locks up and I am not able to see the drive connected. Even if i try to boot with the driver connected, the boot gets locked up. How can i solve this problem? Is there any solution for this problem? Please help.

Re: How can i solve WDElements 1TB External Drive problem

I am facing the similar problem on my windows XP Pro SP 1 machine. I am facing the following issues -
    When i connect the driver it gets recognized. I am able to open the drive, create folders in it, even i am able to transfer the files, and everything works fine for me. But it works till a specific period of time, but after some time when the drive gets locked up my PC slow down. This thing happens when there is a file transfer and if i unplug the drive, windows return to normal and there is loose of data. What to do with this problem? Does anyone know to fix this?

I to have faced the same problem. Even i was not able to connect the 1TB external drive and even my window was getting locked. But by disabling the 'Legacy USB Support' i was able to solve the problem. Just you need to do is open the BIOS and disabling Legacy USB Support and all you problems will be solved. Those who are facing this issue can try this solution.

Not exact, bit the same problem even i faced in my system. I am not able to add my EHD at all without it freezing on me. I do not know to fix this issue .Even the test given by the websites says it has bad sectors. But this is not the result i get every time, every time i check, it gives me different result. This thing normally happens when i plug it in another desktop at my home.

I to encounter the same problem .I opened the USB configuration; however looking at it I noticed there was a choice for "Legacy USB Support". I disabled the Legacy support and rebooted it. The Windows was able to boot right. I just want to say that as you may not have a USB Boot, disabling the Legacy USB Support option in Setup might do the work for you. It can be tried out.

Even By disabling the USB legacy support it still locks up the system. It was working fine at the start, but later when i went to reboot then all the problems started. I am not able to boot with it plugged in and when reconnected it get locked. I am not able to find the exact problem, but i think that it is to do with the software pre-installed on the drive. Can anyone help me out?

I purchased this drive and have the same issues as everyone is facing above. When the drive was connected to the computer, it was able to normally. I was facing the problem with the bios. When the drive was connected to the PC i was not able to enter the BIOS section. I thought that there is problem with the BIOS. But disabling Legacy USB support solved the problem for me. Thanks for the help

I made the try with the external powered USB 5 port hub on the main machine and i was amassed, it worked fine for me. The drive was recognized and the hard drive to hard drive copy goes well. I will suggest you to do the same as it had solved my problem . You may also try it as it can even solve your problems. For any further help reply me back.

I feel that you might be facing this problem because this may be due to a defective hard drive. There would be no other problem for this .I guess that you have buyed the hard drive recently, if yes then get it replaced with the new one and if you hard drive is old then buy the new hard drive. I hope that this will solve your issue. You get your hard drive checked.

You just try this out .Go to the run, then type the command cmd. It will open a command prompt .In the command prompt type the command disk part. Then click enter. Now it will give the disk list. You need to select disk that is correct size .Before this be very sure it is your external disk. Clean it and make the assignment. It will definitely solve your problem.