Thread: System shut down when updating Fedora 13, help !

System shut down when updating Fedora 13, help !

Hi, I installed Fedora 13 and when it was installing all the updates, the system shut down completely, DEAD. I checked the PSU and Hard drive, both OK, tried new memory, 1 stick only, new processor, removed Video card, now I am stumped. The board doesn't have a lcd power light so I can't tell if it is getting power. Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Re: System shut down when updating Fedora 13, help !

First, I would like to tell you that this is purely hardware issue, and not related with Fedora. Since, you have told that, the PSU is working fine, there is definitely problem in your motherboard. I think that you should check your motherboard properly. Also there are some things that you should keep in mind after installing the Fedora 13. For more help, you can check the What to do after installing Fedora 13

Thanks Ben Ten, Due to my schedule I don't have much time to work on this latest project. I dug out my trusty M-Board tester so now I have to learn how to use it. I'll post my findings ASAP. Thanks again

This happens when your system cpu is heating. Many a time while playing games this issue is common where a major part of the resources are used by a CPU and that heats it up. To protect from further damage the cpu shutdowns itself. For that try to remove your ram and change its slot. Then if still not work then check the psu of your system. There must be a light on the board.

The board is a ECS 945GCT-M/1333 and if it has a power light, I must be going blind. I've spent way too much time just staring at this board ! OK, I have the board out on the bench now. I took out the Pent. D 805 and put in a good Pent. D 925. Then I used a new PSU . Then, I put in one stick DDRII 533, 1 Gb memory. No lights, no action... Then, I plugged in a PC Analyzer in the PCI slot and again, no beeps, no lights, dead as a door nail. Also, I cleared the CMOS two different times. Is it time to stick a fork in this project and start looking for a new board ? Thanks again

You can try to do something in meanwhile, if that motherboard has integrated graphics connect the monitor to the integrated video port. Have the computer unplugged when doing the cards, etc. Try booting with the case open to see if you even get any lights or fan activity. Verify that the power supply is actually getting power and the voltage selector isn't set for 220V. The voltage part assumes 120AC is you normal current. Check the power outlet to verify 120VAC is coming to that point. Duplex recepticles are sometimes split with one half on a switch.

Thanks TJ,
    The board is completely out of the case, hooked up with the very basics. A new and double checked PSU, a new HDD, 1-Gb DDRII 533 memory, (plugged into the # 1 slot). Video plugged into the built-in port, not a card. Also, I rigged up a remote power switch. I plugged in a PC Analyzer into the PCI slot. It has a lot of lcd lights for all of the voltages, and a numeric read-out. When I turn on the power I don't even start the fans in the PSU or any fans like case fans, CPU fan, HDD fan, etc. I looked at the board for any visible damage, none. I still haven't found that power light on the board. Thanks again.

It seems to me that your board is dead. If the psu doesn't turn on even if there's nothing else connected than the bare mainboard then there might be a short on the mainboard somewhere. See if a screw got lodged under the Motherboard (motherboard might be grounding out). In any case if it is under warranty then try to replace it.