Thread: RAID10 SWAP partition and boot

RAID10 SWAP partition and boot

I want to do an installation on a ClearOS RAID10, but I have a question. I understand that it was not good to create swap partition on a RAID. Until now I never create more than a RAID1 and then create the swap partition on two discs, but with a RAID10 I do not see how.

Namely:

RAID1 with two 500GB hard disk and 2 1TB and 500GB RAID0 with RAID1 and RAID1 1TB.

Re: RAID10 SWAP partition and boot

The difference between Raid 0 +1 and Raid 1 +0 is instructive.

So you do rather well to the RAID10 (= raid 1 +0).

Why include the raid swap?
    For convenience in case of recovery! If disk 0 fails, then the system will have a boot disk and /etc/fstab will show an existing partition as swap.

I have long varied on software raid. But now I think take the right approach:
    With 2 discs, so for the raid1, I created:
    - On a disk, a partition in ext3 100 MB /boot partition then the rest kind of raid
    - Disk 2, same except mount /boot2
    - I assemble the 2 partitions type raid /dev/md0 (raid1) I then configure lvm,
    - I initialize it creating the lvm volume group,
    - Then I created logical volumes beginning with a swap and root (/)
    - Finally I install grub on 2 discs (without forgetting to copy from time to time /boot to /boot2)!

In case of difficulty, it seems easy to repair. What can be done with 1.5 T and a ClearOS?

So for you it does not pose a problem to create the swap partition on the RAID, it seems more logical to me that what I read, so why exclude it? And you do not include mounting /boot in it? It is true that you do not specify RAID, but I understand that with a RAID1 we could do. And I also thought we could do with the RAID10?

For the swap, you lose a swap if mirrored. But the damage is in these times when the memory is no longer a big problem? Especially since the swap should not even be used! Please note I only declared swap over 1G!

The problem is that grub does not know boot disk mirroring! So it is imperative to start on a primary partition "classic". The perfect score is always /boot. Where /boot and /boot2 copy. Then the rest is being cut by then lvm raid.

Note: If you are trying to mirror two disks, do not forget, if you change your mind later, remove superblocks (mdadm --zero-superblock) because they are not erased by "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb".

I realize this type of cutting to create a host of virtualization in Proxmox. Indeed, one can install on a Debian Proxmox, where the first install of Debian with this division then Proxmox. Review: a great space, and the ability to create VMs or type KVM (from a .iso) or type OpenVZ (from template available).

The temptation is great to virtualize the firewall temptation to be resisted!

Here is what I did to install my ClearOS in RAID1:

I took my SWAP, this is on two discs, while '/boot' and '/' what is on the RAID and it works correctly now.

As you pointed out to me, there is no real reason not to put the SWAP RAID so I'll do.

Here is my partitioning:

Disk 500 GB:
    A party in RAID1 for the SWAP and the '/boot', then the rest in RAID1

Disk 1TB:
    While RAID1

And finally I took both my RAID1 to RAID0, when you think?