Thread: Vaio FW290 Broken LCD Barrel Hinge

Vaio FW290 Broken LCD Barrel Hinge

After using this Vaio FW for more than a year I was sure that I was going to get this problem. As mentioned in the title the hinge that is given on the left side of Vaio FW290 laptop is broken. One more thing warranty period of this laptop is already over. But if was having warranty for this Vaio FW290 then also it won’t be replaced because this thing comes under physical damage. Now the thing is that I want to replace this hinge with the new one but I do not have the idea about the equipments that are required.

Re: Vaio FW290 Broken LCD Barrel Hinge

I am looking for a left hinge on my laptop SONY VAIO FW290 which is broken. Sony does not sell spare parts for his computer? Good to know for a next purchase. In the meantime I wish I could change my hinge broke because the repair Sony asks for a package of 230? But the piece is barely costing of 30? This way of earning money is not good because they are charging much for a simple piece.

I am also having same problem, the hinges on my laptop the Sony Vaio is broken completely. To tell you the screen is not connected to the base. All this is due to a violent shock, but the system is not having any problem. That is why I want to fix my laptop but it's worth the shot? It is no longer under warranty and do not know or would you repair an idea?

Given the description of damage, I think the repair will cost more expensive than buying a new laptop. Now, for repair, you can go to any computer which stores it back to Sony (if they think it is repairable of course!) If it is repairable, then one thing is for sure that it will take time. But in this case, you can request to that thing as early as possible. Personally, I think you should buy another one instead of repairing that thing.

I hinge my computer that no longer works. That is to say that I am obliged to support the screen which is impractical since the opening / closing have no more strength. I have a few questions first: is that this kind of repair is difficult to do for a "young quiche" like me? How does one way that overall compensation? And especially where to find the species of screws and bolts.

Performing the experiment on a Compaq and it is e very tricky. We must remove the display cover, then open the laptop and put it almost in a state of detached piece (separate keyboard-sheet- that is very fragile.) only have access to the four small screws each hinge. Once the hinges removed, you need a vise, a hammer and chisel to redo the setting. Yes it is possible, and faster than trying to find the detached piece! In fact the hinge is composed of two parts: an axis "brake" male with a flat piece and a female. The brake force is sturdy and the flat axis of the "plant" the piece becomes female round. With hammer and chisel just insert the pin into the female piece and reform. The pieces are made in a sort of aluminum or zinc alloy.