Thread: Best 2tb drives for a 6 x raid5 array

Best 2tb drives for a 6 x raid5 array

I am currently upgrading my server and for which i am in a search of best 2Tb drive. This drive is gonna be used in the raid5 array. Will an Adaptec RAID 31205 would be good for my server? This server is going to be having 64 bit Windows 7 installed on it. Still you guys can feel free to advice some other hard drive. I am not stuck on this particular model only.

Re: Best 2tb drives for a 6 x raid5 array

A huge terabyte Samsung hard drives you could never talk about noise nuisance, what with the Samsung Eco Green F3 (HD203WI) changed significantly. For fast read / write operations that is a distinct clacking is heard, which not every user will ignore it. In particular, as a system disk or a NAS in the living room, the Samsung hard disk can not be used if you do not want to be very disappointed.

Caviar Green is not a disk WD20EADS 7200 rpm fast, but a disk 5400 rpm at high efficiency by Western Digital. You may recall from our previous test version of 1TB , the WD10EADS, which remains today the 1TB drive the most efficient we've tested. We therefore expect a lot of his successor. The WD10EADS is a three-trays, while the WD20EADS needs four platters to achieve its 2TB More parts and mass movement mean greater power consumption: the new guy should not beat the ancestor.

Seagate has finally decided to launch a drive of 2 TB of storage capacity, but for businesses only. This model is part of the Constellation line ES, and will not arrive until the third quarter of this year. These discs are also Constellation ES available in 500 GB and 1 TB 3.5-inch and SATA or SAS, with a rotation speed of 7200 rpm. Other discs in 2.5-inch Constellation arrive earlier, during the first quarter, with capacities of 160 and 500 GB.

Whether it's Western or Seagate, hard 2TB using speeds lower than the traditional 7200 rpm. Western was the first to raise and lower speeds at its Green line, then followed by Samsung - which is limited currently to 1.5 TB - and now Seagate. Only problem, Western continues to do mas communicate the speed of its platters: if we could at best understand at first, now that other manufacturers have followed one wonders why keep such a secret. Therefore, it just knows that the Caviar GP have the "technology" IntelliPower, which I quote "A fine-tuned balance of speed, transfer rate and caching algorithms designed to deliver significant savings to energy and solid performance.