Thread: HP OfficeJet 6500 will not print using black cartridge only

HP OfficeJet 6500 will not print using black cartridge only

I am facing printing issues with HP OfficeJet 6500 printer. Whenever I try to print any of my documents using the black print cartridge ONLY, I don't get any print outs. I have checked all the settings and the color preset is set to gray-scale and the color option is set to black print cartridge only. In spite of all the tries that I did, I have no luck in getting black print out. I also took it with the retailer from whom I purchased this and replaced it from him since it was in the warranty but that too didn't worked. What else can be done to fix this issue?

Re: HP OfficeJet 6500 will not print using black cartridge only

First try to print a blank test page to see if there is any problem with your printer or something else. For this, make sure the printer is turned on and loaded with new plain and white paper. If it prints proper black test page, then its clear that it is something related to software. In other case, it is definitely related to hardware problem.

This is how I have solved a similar problem on my Mac computer. Go to Print & Fax preferences, click on Printer Setup, select Printer Model. Go to HP and select your printer model (HP OfficeJet 6 series, in your case). Now open a normal text editor and try to print a simple text (with 2-3 words) and see if it is printed. You should notice that there is no question of paper quality or printing options.

Try to disable or reset the C5010A & C5011A ink level indicators. For this you may either refer to HP manual for product specific or the steps can be referred from Hewlett Packard web site. This is how it works generally for black ink cartridge. First press LEFT and RIGHT ARROW at a time and then release it. Now press 7, 8, 9 in the same order as given. When prompt for confirmation, press 1 for Yes.

I think you are having defective cartridges or may be the contacts are faulty. First clean your cartridges and then make sure all the contacts are proper and well connected. It seems odd that both printer would fail in the same way. I would suggest to test the cartridges in a known working printer.

I am having a very similar issue, but for me, the "print using black cartridge only" option is just gray and so I can't select it.