Thread: Dell Studio XPS 1640 keyboard has started to melt!

Dell Studio XPS 1640 keyboard has started to melt!

I bought a new laptop Dell studio XPS 1640 and it was working fine. From one month something is happened with my keyboard. Today I saw this problem when I was suffering on internet. I saw some of the key words of my laptop keyboard have melted. At first I thought that something is heating inside the laptop but now I found that problem is above my laptop CD drive which I hardly ever use. This problem melts my couple of keys. Now I am not going to use my laptop in my lap.

Re: Dell Studio XPS 1640 keyboard has started to melt!

Its completely different kind of problem which I have not seen yet. I didn't think the laptops could even throw off that much heat. Have you put it in a case or bag or something on you laptop fan from wher it takes cool air inside or were you using it on a wrong surface which was not suitable for it? May be you fan is having problem. I this think so your fan has stopped working. Is there any damage to the screen, considering it's probably much more sensitive than the aluminum keys? Go the customer care center of you manufacture and try change your cooling system because I do not think that DVD drive can cause such problem

Oppps its very wired story but I have seen it with my brother. He was using MBP ( Macbook pro) laptop. In my story it was something inside that melted. My brother was showing me some excel file on his laptop and then he put it back into his beg and went to his office. After sometime he told me that he getting some rubber burning smell and that smell was coming from his beg. His keyboard was heating very high. He went to the Macbook service center and there he found that his fan was not working. So please check your cooling system first.

Which I feel that that problem is not with you Heat sink (cooling system). Something like liquid has fallen on your keyboard and that is the reason it is heating too much. Because without these kind of problem no laptop can heat at this rate to melt your Laptop. It’s really crazy. If your laptop is new and you have time to claim warranty then please go to you service center and try to repair your problem.

I had this same problem with my Dell Latitude D600 laptop. I repair my cooling fan inside my keyboard. I remove the keyboard and clean the cooling fan and heatsink inside it without taking it to the laptop repair place. So please open your keyboard may be your fan has stopped working. It is very simple process and it will take almost 10- 15 minutes. If fan is working properly then there is no need to clear and problem may somewhere else. You can blow off the dust with compressed air. Just buy a can of compressed air, you can find it in any local computer store, and spray it inside the fan until it’s clean and there is no dust left.

I had this same problem with my Dell Latitude D600 laptop. I repair my cooling fan inside my keyboard. I remove the keyboard and clean the cooling fan and heatsink inside it without taking it to the laptop repair place. So please open your keyboard may be your fan has stopped working. It is very simple process and it will take almost 10- 15 minutes. If fan is working properly then there is no need to clear and problem may somewhere else. You can blow off the dust with compressed air. Just buy a can of compressed air, you can find it in any local computer store, and spray it inside the fan until it’s clean and there is no dust left.

For that you should buy a new keyboard and company who offer keystroks do not provide keystorkes for your laptop. My laptop is Toshiba and it has only suggested the new keyboard. If you want to know the reason behind this problem, then I am sure it is within your cooling system heat sink. But now you have to repair your cooling system and also you have to replace your keyboard if the melting keystrokes has stopped working completely. In the meantime I have a new feeling for the phrase "chicklet keyboard". I bought some Philadelphia Cream Cheese in a silver plastic container & have cut the silver lid into key tops. A little double faced tape underneath and it works.