Thread: Copper LED Headlight Housing

Copper LED Headlight Housing

I am presently doing a Tafe Cert II in Engineering as a pre-req to receiving into Uni next year. All were given two alternatives. Build a nut cracker (snore) or build impressive helpful for ourselves (no cone pieces plskthx). I have been desire to build my individual LED headlights for at the same time as and have looked at various dissimilar straightforward designs for them other than by no means originate something I actually liked, or had the tools to do. Now the entire of a sudden I have right of entry to a moderately well stocked engineering workshop. My innovative intention was to create it out of aluminum other than I was not capable to locate several suitable pieces around my area. At the same time as checking a scrap metal merchant near my place although I came across some 32mm diameter x 50mm long off cuts of copper. I need some help here related to the topic.

Re: Copper LED Headlight Housing

What LEDs are you preparation on escalating to these. Be able to they acquire Cree/luxor star modules. If you are brain dead at the moment, and cannot imagine regarding the final working product. They give the impression of being extremely superior indeed. It's superior to observe additional people utilize MC-E modules too; they blow XR-E's out of the water. particularly when you consider lm/W efficiency at low outputs.

Together luminous and LED light sources necessitate water proofing if used in an exterior surroundings (say, on a car or bike), the housing that the OP is building determine to (optimistically) provide this. LEDs in addition necessitate heatsinking so LED headlight housing be supposed to in addition act as a heatsink, which a large block of copper/aluminium does. I am planning to position a Cree MC-E in one of them by means of a ledil boomerang wide optic, and an XR-E in the additional by means of a Fraen SRL narrow optic.

Most of them do win in a number of respects, additional than when you desire an actually focused long range beam the XR-E is tranquil a superior alternative. Multi Chip Emitters are enormous for flood lighting, which is what I determine to be using this one for. Batteries I am making my individual 18650 battery pack, 2s2p. The XR-E determines to be driven by a Recom RCD24 at 1000mA by means of no dimming. It determines to restrain the headlight and defend it from the elements, and in addition in this case act as a heatsink for the LED to maintain it from overheating and going into thermal runaway (which is a terrible thing).

I am certain it's absolutely unwarranted, other than ever in view of the fact that I saw them at the same time as I was using XR-E's I have encompass and had a extraordinary feeling towards them. I imagine it's immediately the look of the package, other than I immediately assume it's must have poor thermal presentation. It must be the information in sequence that it's black and the XR-E's are additional silvery; plastic vs metal in looks. I have by no means essentially used an MC-E in a design. A additional efficient design would encompass axial fins rather than radial.

This is completely debatable. Axial fins would be parallel by means of the air shifting past them and so make available an easier air flow path, additional than you strength get boundary layer tribulations where the air contiguous to the fins sort of stays there and is not shifting that fast. Round fins at the same time as not in the air path, determine to cause turbulent flow in excess of the heatsink which means additional air comes in contact by means of it and confidently additional heat is eliminated. This is where I run into tribulations.

If you were doing it at home, you would utilize a drill press, an X-Y vice, a tapered cutter, a protractor and a engrave. How perfect it turns out merely depends on how precisely you be able to be concerned to set it up. If you desire to create additional than one, you determine to design you a fixture that determine to permit you to do the milling extremely quickly. Not an easy thing to find 32mm round chunks of brass (not surrounding here anyway). If somebody be able to point me in the direction of some or has some they can send me (you determine to gladly pay postage) most of them determine to happily turn it into a headlight. I encompass three chunks of this copper and 2 lights for me, one for a mate.