Thread: Should the pagefile be placed on SSD

Should the pagefile be placed on SSD

I already did a lot of stuff with my SSD like disabling the auto defrag, scandisk, etc. But I still have two point to make but I am curious question. Does it is better to place the page file on the SSD or I should disable the paging file. The other is does it will better to disable write cache DSS. Is it really safe. I should mention that I have a processor with 6GB of ram and Core i7.

Re: Should the pagefile be placed on SSD

I had swapped out the swap file and first to a normal HDD, as I have expected most requests to write and I wanted to spare the SSD in this matter. However, it's just the page file really make sense to have on a fast disk. Microsoft itself recommends it too, and points out that nowhere makes more sense to use an SSD as the swap file. I think that me be useful.

I have the pagefile on the SSD from the start and got so much less than a possibility. But I see the SSD rather than high-priced wearing part if you would provide 3-4 years of excellent service and I am satisfied. Then, the capacity will probably hurt even more than now as you have a little more. I used no more and no swap file swap partition. There was no problem and the system was also slower.

Under Vista 64bit with no page file and you can not even start with 2GB Notepad without getting a message that the memory is all. Of course, the swap file on the SSD, it is finally the RAM replacement and is one of the fastest on record. The hibernation file is part of the fast waking to the SSD. I have 8 GB RAM and 8 GB swap file. If I disable the swap file normal use.

Especially with Intel because almost nothing you can do flash. Intel has once promised to keep their SSDs up to 100GB of writes per day at least five years. Whether this is also for this new 40GB X25-V is I do not know. When Intel SSDs will eventually be about to give up the ghost, then they do so in a way to stay in at the time when intact on their existing data. Only writing is no longer possible, but the data remains readable.

The swap can always disable the very strange effects on the program performance. These and other incompatibilities will be in future more and more with XP been found on modern computers. However, I have read several reviews that are with the current (affordable) SSD disks the write performance is not too outstanding and that the system can even freeze for seconds when running multiple applications.

If not enough memory is installed in the computer, Windows writes temporary files in a page file, this will lead to avoidable once again writes to the SSD. The whole thing is only if one has a hard disk with the PC. Quite for some programs may turn lead to problems. For that right click on My Computer and then choose Properties. Select Advanced System Links and then click on Performance > Settings. In the Advanced tab and then change the bottom right of Change. The check in the paging file size for all remove.