Thread: My officejet pro 8500 goes offline frequently

My officejet pro 8500 goes offline frequently

I have bought a new officejet pro 8500. It was working god for two days but now it going offline all the time almost two times an hour. When is happens, we open the “printers and faxes” from control panel and click on the “work online" option from the right-click menu. It is fine when we are printing, even if it's annoying. We don't always get them if the printer's offline a lot.I am running XP SP3. I do not have any information about the IP address and DNS and even I am not able to locate the IP address of my printer Thank you in advance for any help! I am useing Dl-624 wireless router.
    Last edited by Amy Adams; 07-09-2010 at 05:50 AM.

Re: My officejet pro 8500 goes offline frequently

You should try to set your static IP address for your printer. First print one configuration page from your front printer and see its IP address, now paste this IP address in your browser which will explore the internal setting screen for your printer. Now chose the Networking tab and click on the wireless along with left side, now chose the IPv4 tab. Now do the manual IP address and enter the IP address, it should be outrange from the router IP address. Put DNS 255.255.255.0 and leave the gateway and DNS blank and click apply.

I made some changes in my computer to solve this problem. DSL providers have more control on the router more than printer likes. To solve this you must unplug your telephone line form the router and now turn off the power of your router. Now wait for 30 seconds and restart router power again. Now plug your printer to the device normally. If it still have some problem then change and set static IP address for the Printer by using internal settings of your front printer

Sometime these kinds of problems arise because drivers problems. Therefore you must check your HP printers drivers are updated to latest version or not? If there is some kind of update id available then go the website of Hp and download the latest drivers from the website. Do not connect your printer until it asked to connect. It would be worth doing a system restore to before you installed the printer - to remove any old drivers go to start – accessories- system tools and system restore.

Sometime your Antivirus firewall settings also affect the wireless connection. For example Panda firewall is not compatible with network printing software. so if you have such firewall settings then You can try to disable the Panda firewall and use only Windows firewall to see if that works. Check your all EPW settings also for your wireless router settings. This also may help. Change the power settings to the maximum use because power save mode brings IP address drops to the connection. So we should avoid all this kinds of settings to work properly.

I think so this problem is coming due to the power saving setting on your printer without having an static IP address. Sometime when printer goes offline due to power saving mode it drops its IP address and shows printer offline or in sleep mode or disconnected. To avoid this problem you always set an Static IP address to your front printer. To change ur IP address to static IP address you have to chose your Internal setting page of front printer. After making this effect it will not drops IP address. It will be better if you always keep maximum power uses and avoid using power saving mode.

smile Re: My officejet pro 8500 goes offline frequently

I've recently had a similar problem and it was not a printer or driver issue.
    It was the D-Link 4 port switch which was defective. Originally it comes in from a router to an 8 port switch, then to a 4 port switch. Remove the RJ45 patch cable from the switch plug directly into the printer. Re-boot the PC and it should work.
    John