Thread: Should I go for OCZ Vertex TURBO Solid State Drive?

Should I go for OCZ Vertex TURBO Solid State Drive?

I want to know about the OCZ Vertex TURBO SSD, so thought to take some help from you members. I just came to know that the OCZ touts with IBIS, a Solid State Disk as a 3.5-inch drive with four sand-force controllers. For the high performance a HSDL interface associated with PCI-Express card is required. Also on many sites, in the test, the SSD combines excellent transfer rates - there is an alternative. But since, you members have helped me a lot, I thought to take some information from you. If anyone over there have used it, please share your experience with me. Also tell me whether is it right decision to go with OCZ Vertex TURBO Solid State Drive? I am waiting for your responses.

Re: Should I go for OCZ Vertex TURBO Solid State Drive?

OCZ has the IBIS own proprietary interface HSDL developed. Advised for the high transfer rates of up to 740 MByte / s is sufficient even SATA 6 Gbps not longer. The HSDL-interface, the OCZ proclaimed as an open standard that uses an included SAS cable, are transferred here via the PCIe signals. The connection of IBIS in the PC is via the package contained in the PCI Express controller card. The IBIS is used as the RevoDrive X2 OZC of four internally SandForce-1200 controller . Respectively two controllers sit with the MLC NAND on a board. In the tested 240-gigabyte version of the IBIS (OCZ3HSD1IBS1-240G) 64 MLC-NAND s come from the type Intel used. On a third board is the Silicon Image Sil3124 RAID chip, all SF-1200 in the RAID process controls four. The SATA RAID chip signals are then transmitted via a PCIe chip in the IBIS-drive using the HSDL interface. HSDL OCZ allowed by a bandwidth of up to 20 Gbit/s - the equivalent are thus 2.5 GByte per second.

I would like to add some more information, by default, the four sand-force controller to work with IBIS for maximum performance in a fast RAID-0 method. As an option, at boot via the BIOS of your own SSD for increased data security, the RAID-10-select procedure. Here each of the two SF-1200 controller to work on a board in a fast RAID-0 method - these two are striped then mirrored each other. Anyone who wants can also create two separate RAID-1 volumes. Alternatively, the BIOS or the RAID-5 process with the four SF-1200. The available capacity is reduced accordingly, of course. OCZs IBIS is handled by the system as a SCSI card. Accordingly be made on the 3.5-inch drive and boot directly. When you install Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7 on the IBIS, only the appropriate drivers are integrated.

Normally support the sand controller force the TRIM command. Developed specifically for SSDs ATA command changes the deletion strategy, accelerating writes. The RevoDrive however, offers no support TRIM. This is due to the RAID controller on the board, which passes not the TRIM command to force the sand controller. OCZ emphasizes, however, that the SSD used without TRIM support algorithms over time to prevent sinking write rates. OCZ has the MTBF specified for the IBIS 2,000,000 hours - a typical value for SSDs. The configured as PCI-Express card OCZ RevoDrive X2 also has four sand-force controllers is available in the 240-gigabyte version for about 600 euro. OCZ offers the IBIS in seven models with capacities of 100 gigabytes (about 420 euro) up to 960 GB (about 2600 euro). During the first quarter of 2011, OCZ still offering a PCI Express RAID controller card with four HSDL connections. This then, four IBIS can be used in the RAID process.

The IBIS achieved in the pre-configured RAID -0 mode, a maximum sequential read rate of 672 Mbytes/s. In streaming with 128 KByte blocks and a queue depth of 32 even outstanding 725 MB/s are possible. The high reading rate is maintained over the full capacity with only minimal disruption. The maximum sequential write rate is 632 MByte/s little cause for criticism. (All data will be lost) When reconfiguring the IBIS to RAID 10, the average sequential write rate is reduced by about half to 250 MB/s (RAID-0 576 MByte/s). The explanation is simple, the data must be written in parallel through both controller pairs. In sequential read of the dips to the RAID-0 method, however, are relatively low. In the typical reading (243 MByte/s), writing (328 MByte/s) and copying (271 MByte/s) of files of different sizes is the IBIS (RAID-0) at least about 50 to 70 percent from the fastest 2,5 - inch SSDs.

In the case of professional enterprise applications is important for the IBIS IOPS in a class by itself (along with the RevoDrive X2). The benchmark suite IOMeter elicits the SSD at 100 percent with 4 KB random read blocks (unaligned) and Queue Depth 32, a rate of 73,104 IOPS. In comparison, a vertex 2 of OZC (also MLC NAND and SF-1200) provides only 13 812 IOPS. Even in the scenarios Database Server, File Server, Web Server and Streaming Server, the IBIS is with the RevoDrive X2 each unchallenged lead. The OCZ IBIS comes up with an excellent performance in all operational areas. The sequential read and write rates are two to three times higher compared to a SSD -top model in the 2.5-inch form factor. The IOPS are higher in the IBIS by this factor. In the typical, everyday reading, writing and copying files, it goes with the IBIS always about 50 to 70 percent faster progress than the best 2.5-inch SATA SSDs.

By the identical configuration with four SandForce-1200 controllers, the speed of almost exactly IBIS and the performance of the RevoDrive X2 , the Express card is designed as PCI. Who needs this performance and is facing a purchase decision, we suggest, however, to RevoDrive X2. The PCI Express card costs slightly less than the IBIS, a free plug-in card slot is required in both cases. IBIS would really sense in comparison to the X2 RevoDrive future only in 4-conjunction with the HSDL- RAID controller card-making. However, this will remain a very expensive and exotic solution. A cheap fun is not the RevoDrive X2 or the IBIS. For the tested 240-gigabyte models about 600 to 620 euro are due. A 2.5-inch SATA SSD with 240 GB capacity and sand-force controller is available for approximately 460 euro. Provides the needed extra power of IBIS or the RevoDrive X2, the surcharge is, however, in order.