Thread: Why is my hard drive smaller than the advertised capacity

Why is my hard drive smaller than the advertised capacity

I have had numerous queries regarding why hard drive capacities are constantly smaller than the amount they are advertised to include. The dissimilarity in capacities is suitable to two dissimilar methods for defining what accurately the prefixes mega, giga, tera mean. In the system world, these prefixes encompass dissimilar meanings depending on what accurately I am talking regarding. Hard drive producer report the size of hard drives using the decimal classification of these terms (10^6, 10^9, 10^12 correspondingly), whereas operating systems and additional software use the binary definition of these terms (2^20, 2^30, 2^40).

Re: Why is my hard drive smaller than the advertised capacity

I have comprise always at the same time as it’s immediately the method its formatted from the company. I imagine on the box for the apparatus it determine to essentially say the accurate size. Everybody similar to Round up you guys be familiar with that. Too terrible my work did not do that by means of my paychecks. It immediately go figure that businesses would desire to give us the "it's-smaller-than-you-think" labeling, and not the additional method around. You be familiar with, why might not they create the HDD's a diminutive bigger than it says on the box.

In the computer or system world, these prefixes have encompassed dissimilar meanings depending on what accurately you are talking regarding. The hard drive producer report the size of hard drives using the decimal description of these terms (10^6, 10^9, 10^12 correspondingly), whereas operating systems and additional software utilize the binary definition of these terms (2^20, 2^30, 2^40). As you be able to determine, these values are close, additional than not exactly the similar. 10^6 is 1,000,000, additional than 2^20 is 1,048,576. Once they get to larger hard drive sizes, the dissimilarity actually becomes noticeable.

I would similar to point out a small number of things I encompass learned in excess of the years. First, the merely place in several part of the system industry a MB is 1,000k is hard drive makers. No additional part of the system world observes it that method. Some of you who encompass been approximately determine to remember this, back in days when systems were first being made to in point of fact be for home utilize, entire programs fit on a 5 1/4 floppy that held 360k of data max. When extremely diminutive hard drives, by today’s standards, were costing much additional then massive hard drives cost today, the dissimilarity of even a 1/4 MB was a major difference.

So at a number of point, one of the drive creates determined to utilize the 1,000k to inflate the space of their drives to give them self’s an boundary on the market. It was a straightforward or easy marketing ploy. And of course, the entire the additional followed to even the playing field. The 1,024k = MB customary was defined method back in the 50's when the extremely first punch card computers were built. Previous to there was actually such a thing as a hard drive as they be familiar with it today.

It is the similar perception as when AMD essentially started to create there CPU's that might maintain up by means of Intel's. At that time, Intel was losing too a large amount of the market too fast. So Intel's immediate respond was to lessen the amount of data processed within a clock cycle. And for the reason that the numeral of clock cycles per second is what the speed evaluation of a CPU is based off of, Intel showed much higher hit it off speeds then AMD, which is why the utilize the + rating on their CPU's.

maybe it is based on different caculating ways
    1MB=1024kb; 1MB=1000kb