Thread: Windows 7 driver solution for HP Color LaserJet 3550

Windows 7 driver solution for HP Color LaserJet 3550

I have HP Color LaserJet 3550 and I think that there are no drivers of it for Windows 7. When I plugged the printer to the system, Windows 7 started searching for the appropriate drivers. When it finished finding nothing, I tried using the Vista disk for that. This also did not work. Can anybody tell me how to set up HP Color Laserjet 3500 with Windows 7. Please help. Thanks in advance.

Re: Windows 7 driver solution for HP Color LaserJet 3550

Happy to see someone asking this. I have already installed this HP Color LaserJet 3550, in Windows 7. It was nothing wrong from the Windows side, it was the printer which was not responding. I did try to take some actions which resulted in success.
    • First of all I went to HP and downloaded the Vista 32-bit drivers for the 3550.
    • Then I unpacked it at C:\HP CLJ3550\ as suggested by the driver file.
    • Go in the Devices & Printers, Right Click, select HP 3550, then Properties, and then select Hardware tab.
    • Then select First Device Function and then Uninstalled the DOT4USB.
    • After this do the same for the Second and Third Device Function.
    • Disconnect the USB to the printer.
    • Now, go back to the Devices & Printers, and select Add a Printer.
    • Then select Add a local printer.
    • You will have to do this using Use existing port DOT4_001, then click Next, and install the printer.
    • It won't work until you make Windows to make it the Default Printer.
    • After all this happens without any problem, right click on My Preferred Printer and then select Set as default printer. and everything should work.

I guess that this will work for you as well if you follow it properly.

Actually there is no full version driver of your unit available that is compatible with Windows 7. There are some drivers in the Windows 7 that should have worked in your case, but I do not know why are they failing. I guess that they are basic drivers and do not give a full-fledged support for the Units(in your case Laserjet 3500). So it may be this reason that the advanced features of the various units or devices may not be working or are not available at all.

Thanks a lot Hardwareman, I will for sure give this one a fair try. I do not understand why HP does not say that they do not support a printer, and say that other drivers might work but with limited functions? Now I want to add one more query to this kitty, I was trying to access the printer via home network. I was having a PC with XP and the new one with Windows 7. I was able to connect to the printer via the XP machine, but could not help the Windows 7 connecting it. The network between the Windows 7 and the Windows XP was also lost. Can you all tell some thing in this matter. Thanks.

It is very simple guys. All that they want you all to do is make you buy new printer ans throw the old one even though it is not having any fault in it. I was also going to do the same but all thanks to Hardwareman, now I can make some trial and see if they are going to really work. Thank you Hardwareman for saving my quite sum of money. I will try and let you know soon. Thanks again.

Well I was also trying the very same procedure. The problem was that when I select Have Disk, the driver compatibility used to start. I even gave a try to the Drivers of Vista, but it did not work. I guess the process that has been presented above and the procedure that I followed are only for 32-bit Windows 7,while I was running 64-bit version. It will be OK if you use Vista 4-bit drivers. The procedure for it is also going to be similar. You will have to uninstall only one function though, from the Properties-Hardware tab, the DOT4 one.