Thread: Can not recognize SATA WDC Hard Drive

Can not recognize SATA WDC Hard Drive

My computer was running very slow for few months, then i decided to format it and reinstall all the applications, including operating system Windows XP. when i restart the installation i got a message as If i want to repair Wnidows xp or install a new version. I choose to install a new copy, but after sometime i got a message as :"Your computer can not recognize hard drive, make sure your hard drive is powered on and properly connected" i connected every thing properly and still have the problem, my hard drive is Western Digital SATA 80 GB. Please help me to solve the problem.

Re: Can not recognize SATA WDC Hard Drive

I was also facing the same problem, then my professor told me to disable the AHCI. To do these first go into the BIOS and then select the AHCI to disabled it. Then restart the system and then press F6 to load the driver and after some time you will get a message having 3 choices then select the option to format the drive, these works for most of the time.

There may be a problem in the My Computer setting, which doesn't allow you access and format the drive. These problem can be solved just by following the simple steps as Go in the "My Computer" properties then in the Hardware and try to find it manually, then if any message asking for a software to install then press next option to install the application. These will help to sort the issue, many people have tried it out in our institute and it worked for them

First of all thank you friend, the steps that you have provided me where very helpful to me and i have installed new Windows XP and also partitioned the drive very easily. In the BIOS i have selected the AHCI and restarted the computer and formatted the drive, then it was able to recognize the Western Digital SATA 80 GB drive and i install a new copy of Windows XP operating system.

As you have mentioned that your system is not able to recognize your SATA WDC Hard drive, so there may be a chances that the setting in the BIOS are not proper or the drive is not plug in properly in the driver slot. To fix that you have to go the website of the Western Digital from where you can download the guide and by using that you can make proper plug in connection to format the drive and install a new version of the operating system, these will fix your issue.

There may be a chance that your SATA hard disk has become corrupted due to some reason. So, first check the hard drive by plugging it in another system. If it works properly in the other system then change the BIOS setting and if doesn't work then there is a problem in the hard drive. To resolve it, contact the company or dealer and get done it from there.

To solve these issue you need to disable the SATA RAID in the BIOS. Then press F6 to install RAID or other drivers. IF you are not able to find the HDD still in the set up then press Enter and load a pile of RAID drivers, if then found the HD add the previous Windows XP . Then run the repair and you will be able to get access to the drive that you wish to access.