Thread: High Purity Isopropyl Alcohol

High Purity Isopropyl Alcohol

There was a pharmacy near by my home from where i used to buy a isopropyl alcohol for cleaning my cpu but now they have closed and i am not able to find out this isopropyl alcohol. Can you guys help me to find out this acid as in my area no pharmacy lab is having this thing.

Re: High Purity Isopropyl Alcohol

Isopropyl alcohol: a barbarous name for a product too little known. Its main use is as a disinfectant for the skin to disinfect thermometer for example. But it is also something else. Have you ever seen a kit for cleaning tapes? It is simply a cassette tape with a cloth and a bottle of cleaner. Isopropyl alcohol sold at exorbitant prices. You want to clean the lens of your CD player? the song of your tape recorder? your keyboard while drunk? Put some isopropyl alcohol on a clean cloth and rub gently.

The manual for my laptop (IBM Thinkpad T42 for geeks) recommends cleaning the LCD screen with a cloth dampened with a mixture of isopropyl alcohol and water (50-50). Please do not make drops in the computer itself. Where to find isopropyl alcohol you ask? Well just in pharmacy and for a ridiculous price like € 1 bottle (+ the deposit). If the pharmacist asks dubiously why you want that, please explain it to clean your computer screen.

Some people recommend isopropyl alcohol to clean the brake discs. The idea seems to be correct but a bit expensive. Other products should be avoided like acetone will attack the rubber tires, hoses and plastic surrounding or white spirit which is fat (with fat and grease is a bit con). The mechanics of using industrial degreaser, sometimes called "Tix" pink is actually white spirit with a solvent to make it soluble in water (hot). In the latter case, wash the disc with the "Tix" and then rinse with warm water.

If you want isopropanol just go to a printer. It is a solvent commonly used in printing. Furthermore it is also the basis of self windshield washer. Not to be used for cleaning because there other ptroduits fatter it. In your place I take them all just pure ethyl alcohol or 96 °, which is not distorted bought at the chemist shop. It has exactly the same propriety that the IPA (another name for isopropyl alcohol) and is less toxic.