Thread: Compaq Presario CQ40 - Power button will not work ( wire is broken )

unsure Compaq Presario CQ40 - Power button will not work ( wire is broken )

Hi guys, I was doing a routine maintenance on my Laptop Compaq Presario CQ40 - 108TU, I was cleaning the heat sink and opened the laptop internal hardware. When I was done cleaning the heat sink, I tried to return everything and I tried to power it up but it did not work. When I open again and tried to look inside, I've noticed that the wire from the power button that connects to the board was sort of broken. [Clumsy me]

I was wondering if is it possible to power this unit on without using the power button.

Re: Compaq Presario CQ40 - Power button will not work ( wire is broken )

If you can see under the plastic button on the front panel there should be the intermittent switch. That switch should be mounted to the chasis and not the panel. At least that's the way it is with most desktops. You can remove the plastic button (which I guess is the broken part) and be able to use the switch normally. If the switch is bad you need to replace it at an electronic store as mentioned above. If the 2 wires soldered to the switch are not both intact then they should be resoldered.
    you know you've made it big on here when you have your own imposter

Quote Originally Posted by techman View Post
    If you can see under the plastic button on the front panel there should be the intermittent switch. That switch should be mounted to the chasis and not the panel. At least that's the way it is with most desktops. You can remove the plastic button (which I guess is the broken part) and be able to use the switch normally. If the switch is bad you need to replace it at an electronic store as mentioned above. If the 2 wires soldered to the switch are not both intact then they should be resoldered.
    First of all, thank you so much for your reply Techman, I really appreciated it.

Hmmmm! No, the switch is not bad, only the silver wires were sort of scratched and it cannot start at all. I find it hard to describe what the wire looks like, but it is like a dvd wire that has 16pins on its edge, the coat on the wires is colored white and the tip of the wires is colored silver. That's what it looked like and the damaged wire has 6pins on its edge. At this time, I'm miles away from the city and I can't look for any service centers near here. So, hoping that I could bypass it and make it turn on without the switch's interaction or would it be possible to device something alternative that requires me to solder.

This looks some kind of hardware. Atleast you must see a BIOS message when you press button. Try to show the same to your nearest service center for that. When you plug the power adapter do you see the power light. If yes then there is no issue with battery or power outlet. There is no other way of booting the laptop as compare to desktop system. I will not recommend you to repair the same with your own hand.