Thread: Convert NTFS drive to FAT32 in DOS

Convert NTFS drive to FAT32 in DOS

The question may seem to you stupid but I am unaware about the fact how to do this and so I am here to ask for the same. I have added a new hard drive to my computer running Windows XP. It is right now formatted in NTFS file system and I want it to be in FAT32 format. I don't want to do it with Windows CD since it will consume a lot of time. Is it possible to convert NTFS drive to FAT32 in DOS? Can you help me with the command that I can use to convert it into FAT32 file system?

Re: Convert NTFS drive to FAT32 in DOS

If time is the only matter for you then you are wrong, formatting a drive with the help of the Windows XP cd isn't time consuming. You can select QUICK format and it will be done quickly. All you need to do is insert Windows XP CD into the CD drive and restart your computer. Follow the wizard for completion of the process.

To convert an existing NTFS volume to FAT32 using DOS follow the below steps:

1. Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.
    2. Type "convert drive letter: /fs:fat32", where drive letter is the drive that you want to convert.
    3. When you receive the following message at the command prompt, type the volume label of the drive that you are converting, and then press ENTER:
    The type of the file system is NTFS.
    4. When the conversion to FAT32 is complete, you receive the following message at the command prompt:
    Conversion complete
    5. Quit the command prompt.

Why don't you go for PartitionMagic. PartitionMagic is capable of resizing NTFS or FAT (16 or 32) partitions without any data loss. It is one of the best alternate way to change a file system. You can even modify the cluster size of FAT16/32 and NTFS filesystems or merge adjacent FAT or NTFS filesystems with the help of PartitionMagic.

I don't think the "convert" command can be used to convert an existing drive from NTFS file system to FAT32. According to Microsoft, it is not possible. In order to restore the volume to the previous file system, ie FAT32, you must reformat it. If you are unsure about my words then you may check it. Go to Start, All Programs, Accessories, and then click Command Prompt. Now type "help convert" and then press ENTER.