Thread: Turn Laptop into monitor

Turn Laptop into monitor

Hey everyone , I received some old laptops now and I was wondering if it can be possible to take one of the displays and somehow wire the same into my case, so it is possible to mount on the wall next to my desk, and show whatever I need to display. I am totally stumped. I am not sure about the procedure or any idea to accomplish this task and if it requires to be complete . I have search for this mod online, but have found nothing after a lot of search ..

Re: Turn Laptop into monitor

Means, you wanted to say that you have a desktop machine but you need to work with this as a laptop monitor for the desktop system ? I don't think,you are able to accomplish this task and to the best of my knowledge. Your laptop's video card would have to support a monitor-in connection (I still not remember whether it's a male or female connection for some causes).

There are several laptops provides a monitor-out connection and that would facilitates you to navigate your monitor's display onto a regular desktop monitor.
    "Me fail English!? That unpossible!"

I forgot the technical explanation regarding the same but it seems so complex to work with your laptop display as your desktop monitor. Commonly, the display doesn't contains the hardware built in to manage a strait VGA input. all of the techincal components is on the laptop motherboard. Having seid that i have seen it accomplished by somebody out there and there was a number of electrotics involved, you have to take a board with a chip constructed exactly for the screen to manage the entire functions and different to convert the VGA into something feasible and a circut for the power.

Yeah !! as a situation of fact It can be performed and I am right now performing the same as you wanted to do. There are some little issues to manage. Commonly, what you require is a PCMICA card with the video input and this may be hard to search out and If you are getting any issues then you can P.M me and I will suggest you for a web site so you can get the card and when that would be inserted then detected as the dual input and types of shuts off the video input from the laptop and facilitates with an external source input to come through.

As a type of alternative have you thought about working with your laptop and performing the role as a thin client, or vnc terminal ? this method , you need some stuff like - your keyboard mouse and monitor and there should be single one cat five cable running with the main (root) box, you mite even capable to perform the same thing when running with the connection of wifi, leaving you free to wonder about. Let me know how it turns out.

After all, as a hardware cowbow, and somebody who has limitless faith within the technology being capable to perform whatever we need to have , I have to agree with the above members who suggested their best regarding this . I have extensively searched the possibility of the same and discussed to a number of designers and technical experts but depressingly I am unable to find the fix regarding this . However I would like to be incorrect and if there is an answer please .