Thread: How to update the burner firmware

How to update the burner firmware

HI, i am a Windows Xp user and to be frank am new to computing as well. recently started using computers, just know little bit about softwares and web. I have no idea about hardwares and all. Recently my Samsung DVD writer has stopped working, unable to read any CD or DVD. So, one of my friend has suggested me to upgrade the firmware of my burner.

I have no idea of doing this. Could you guys please make me know step by step process of updating the burner firmware? Any help will be appreciated.

Re: How to update the burner firmware

As you are new to hardware, firmware, BIOS etc.. here are some information you should have for performing such troubleshoot.The CD and DVD have some software containing extensive information on the parameters of your equipment. This is called the firmware. This can easily be updated in order to add new functionality to your drive and especially to correct the problems thereof.

Thus, it is not uncommon for a new firmware enables support new models of recordable media, to increase the compatibility of burned discs, and improve the quality of engraving. Sometimes a firmware can even improve the characteristics of a burner, supporting new technologies or improving writing speeds. So you have interest to check regularly if a new firmware is available for your drive to improve its functionality and fix burning issues that you may face.

As for updating the BIOS of your PC, update the firmware of a drive is not without risk and requires a minimum of care. A power outage during the updated firmware or install a firmware incorrectly can severely damage your equipment. However, if you follow the steps in this case, there is no reason that any problems occur.

To find a firmware for your hardware, you should identify specifically the brand and model of your burner. If you find documentation or invoice from your computer, this information must be indicated. If not, can find it in Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Brian View Post
    To find a firmware for your hardware, you should identify specifically the brand and model of your burner. If you find documentation or invoice from your computer, this information must be indicated. If not, can find it in Windows.
    I agree with O'Brian. In order to get the exact brand and model of your DVD burner you should go through the following steps:
    • Open My Computer.
    • Click the right mouse button on your recorder, and then click Properties.
    • In the dialog box that appears, click the Hardware tab.
    • The list of all disk drives on your computer, including your drive will be displayed. Then identify your drive. To help you maximize the Type column that must contain Writers CD-ROM or DVD-ROM Drives. Note that while the make and model of your burner. The drive here is a TSSTcorp SH-S182D.
    • Finally close the windows open. A little research with Google informs us that while the brand behind this model is Samsung.
    • Our drive is Samsung brand and model is SH-S182D.

To get the exact firmware for your device model, you need to do a little search on the manufacturer's site. Go to the website of the manufacturer of your burner. Generally, the firmware is distributed as a compressed archive to decompress. Open the folder where the firmware is downloaded. Double click the archive compressed firmware. Choose the Extract all files.

Follow the instructions in the wizard Extracting compressed files to decompress the archive. Verify that the Show extracted files is checked and click on the Finish button. Then close all your programs, then double-click the program to update the firmware of your drive, you have downloaded. This executable has the extension. Exe. Confirm the launch of the software by clicking Run.

Follow the instructions given by the program. Note that in our case, we will upgrade from SB04 firmware to version SB06. Generally, you simply click a button (Start Download here) to start updating the firmware. Avoid touching anything while flashing the firmware can take several minutes. Once finished, restart your computer. The firmware of your drive is now updated!

These days there are other applications to obtain the system information. Just the once you be acquainted with the model the official site of the manufacturer, now choose your model and download the mandatory firmware. Just undergo the commands. All you require to do is to run the program some time ago and the firmware will be upgraded.