Thread: "To play this DVD, you must first install a playback application that supports Blu-ray Disc" error

"To play this DVD, you must first install a playback application that supports Blu-ray Disc" error

I am on a Windows 7 Media Center pc that is not able to support the Blu-ray discs. I already have a Blu-ray Support device and whenever I try to play blu-ray discs, I get an error message saying that "To play this DVD, you must first install a playback application that supports Blu-ray Disc." What should I do to get this thing working, please help.
    Gunz Dont Kill PEOPLE

I Do........

Re: "To play this DVD, you must first install a playback application that supports Blu-ray Disc" error

I suppose you havent installed the right codec's for your Blu-Ray. Didnt you get any media that might be carrying all the required codec's in your blu-ray drive? In any case, you can also use google search engine or yahoo search engine to download Blu-ray codec’s for free, however choosing from the number of software's avaliable for the Bly-Ray should be installed on your own risk.

Re: "To play this DVD, you must first install a playback application that supports Blu-ray Disc" error

The error message that you are getting simply means that you have to install some specific software that supports Blu-Ray playback that could be either the PowerDVD BD edition or something other, depending upon the software support. I suppose, if you can look at the supplied accessories that came with the drive, an included software on a cd might be their.

I also had similar problems with my LG blu-ray drive that came with Cyberlink powerdvd 7 software and after its installation, I was not getting that error anymore. Now I have upgraded to Cyberlink powerdvd 9 version that had some more audio options. I was also able to to play blu-ray discs on Windows Media Center which is running fine without any issues.

Another way to install the driver or software in Windows 7 is by using the Windows Update Wizard. You need to first disconnect your blu-ray drive from your pc and after a reboot reconnect it again. At the Windows 7 desktop, a message will appear like "found new hardware" and here you just have to choose the option to let windows install its drivers automatically.

What is the make/model of your Blu-Ray drive. Have you already tried installing Cyberlink software and checking whether you are able to play the blu-ray discs on Windows Media Center? You can also try to install K-lite codec pack that supports almost every kind of codecs. Then there are those who were able to play blu-ray disc on different blu-ray drive model by installing PowerDVD 7 ultra, just try and let us know.