Thread: Can I use Migration Assistant to go from Tiger to Snow Leopard?

Can I use Migration Assistant to go from Tiger to Snow Leopard?

I recently purchased a new one MBP. I need to transfer the applications from my working system that is running on Tiger. Can I use Migration Assistant to perform that? If not, is there anything I can perform ? I definitely didn't have entire disks for all of the software which I have on my working machine, so I am just considering that there is some method to do a direct transfer among the two specified .

Re: Can I use Migration Assistant to go from Tiger to Snow Leopard?

There are some rules and regulation of the implementation of the software and also requires some memory management . So, in order to do this, A secure destination would be to perform the upgrade but not come across any third part Application but to download the versions particularly defined for Leopard. Your data must get up across. Fine ..

I am fresh user of the Mac convert still using PC but in the procedure of going through the upgradation of my daughter's 2007 macbook pro with upgrade from Tiger OS to Snow Leopard after overwriting the HD to a 500GB from a 120 GB. After some discussion and little bit research operation , I have planned to perform a clean installation of Snow Leopard onto the new HD before working with the migration assistant to pull data from the previously HD which will be in a 2.0 USB external enclosure.

Best you work with the Migration Assistant to change the entire data from your Mac data from the previously MBP HD into the fresh installation of 10.6 on new HD. Once you have performed that then download latest one copies of entire third party software which you need to use on 10.6. Then just find out if Office 2004 is running fine on 10.6 and if so go for the fresh installation of that also. There are less chances of issues in that way.

Thank for the wonderful suggestion . I found that the fresh installation of operating system SL on the latest HD can get the Ext. Previously evolved HD plugged through the 2.0 USB enclosure when I move into the Migration Assistant through the utilities directory specified . It specifically creates a lot of sense to work with the newly created copies of third party software on the fresh OS.This seems so embarrassing with Migration Assistant, you are unable to pick and select which applications you need to go for the migration, and which you do not.

Working with the Migration Assistant, you can select not to import the components from the Application directory and if you consider about this, it is important as the basic Application are already exist into your application directory from the fresh installation and importing new SL compliant third party application finishes your application directory.