Go Back   TechArena Community > Hardware > Hardware Peripherals
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 28-07-2010

File in trash won't delete in mac os x

I have just noticed that there is one of the file in the trash directory and not getting deleted when I wanted to delete this out . The name of the file is so weired and I didn't got this name for a file, the name stated as "␀␀␀?␀␀.␀␀" and the capacity of the file is zero KB. Whenever, I did empty my trash, its doesn't move the files permanently . Every time, I right click and click "get info" it removes but when I click on the trash again, it comes again . Any help would be appreciated ...
Old 28-07-2010

Re: File in trash won't delete in mac os x

I stored three files into my trash which would not delete right now . Two of them has been stored within the locked directory and that seems to be occurring a issue and one asks for a password then still doesn't remove this out . I need to move such type of files out of the trash, but I am unable to perform this just by dragging or copying procedure . This would not allow me to cut also in this case. So really, I am after a way to fix it out or get a software through which I can move the files out of the the trash.
Old 28-07-2010

I was having this issue before . I terminated up with the help of the terminal technique but option should be feasible as well so try that at initial stage. These will remove out all of things into the trash . Just force the Trash to empty using specified Option key

This method uses a hidden property of Mac OS X to force the Trash to empty. Go through the below suggested steps in the order specified:
  • Press and keep down the mouse button on the Trash icon in the Dock.
  • The context menu for Trash would be shown in the background .
  • Press and keep down the Option key.
  • Choose Empty Trash from the context menu for Trash.
  • Skip the Option key.
  • Force the Trash to empty from the Terminal control.
Old 28-07-2010

Thanks for the quick reply and help in this situation , but the ways that you are suggesting me to solve out this issue are not feasible anymore on my system . The steps that you told me to go for that seems t would be helpful form me but can you explain the procedure . May be, I am missing something here that is causing to incompletion of the procedure . Is it possible some put in a spyware/virus on my system ? I was running on a open network today. Anymore suggestion would be great .
Old 28-07-2010

As I have suggested already that the method users a Terminal command to force the Trash to empty . Go through the below suggested steps in the order allocated here :

1. Open the terminal,under the Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities folder.
2. From the Terminal prompt, type the command explained below :

sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash/*

3. Press Return.
4. Now, type the Admin password of your system, when it requires and automatically prompted for that , then press Return. The files in the Trash are now removed .
Old 03-08-2010

The first way suggested not working at all where as the second one moving up fine to the password bit but it would not allow me to type out the password .. It just didn't perform anything when I move to type anything as well as for the current situation, whenever I issue the command into this then I found that it does nothing, just moves to different command line.
Old 04-08-2010

Just go through the procedure and you will be able to do all that :

1- Just Open up the Terminal application
2- issue the following command as : sudo rm -rf (with the single space)
3- Open the "My Computer" Finder window which have the list of mounted drive volumes
4- Drag the hard drive having the file within the Terminal window. It will input the drive suggestion location to the command line
5- When it would be finished, you have to press the backspace once to delete the space at the bottom of the line.
6- Enter into the location of "/.Trashes" at the end of the line and issue the return. It is very necessary that it is entered at the end of the line.
7- Authenticate and the files should be deleted .

TechArena Community > Hardware > Hardware Peripherals
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,