Thread: Forgot master password on Ibook

Forgot master password on Ibook

Hi everyone, I have had my ibook from a year and currently I ewas just thinking and realized that I don't remember what I configured the master password for my machine before .Really, I don't remember what I have set earlier and running with the confusions that what should I do.. Does some have any idea to get it or recover or if I can break this ? Thanks in advance.

Re: Forgot master password on Ibook

Hi dude ! you have to go for the administrative changes in your system and that will solve the issue , You will require your installation of the cds/dvd. You can visit on the Apple official site and can get help. http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106156

You can find them from Scroll down at the end of the page to "Resetting the original administrator account password". Just be sure to implement the search functionality , it has been replied several times..

Quote Originally Posted by killen View Post
    Hi dude ! you have to go for the administrative changes in your system and that will solve the issue , You will require your installation of the cds/dvd. You can visit on the Apple official site and can get help. http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106156

You can find them from Scroll down at the end of the page to "Resetting the original administrator account password". Just be sure to implement the search functionality , it has been replied several times..

It seems that you are just joking on us. And before you query anything , YES, you absolutely should have the system's Software Restore disk or a copy of Mac OS X to reconfigure the master password. I didn't got any method to perform the same in the way.

Please try to understand my problem first.Actually, I am not just talking about the Administrative password and all these things . I know my password for the administrative account . I wanted to just know about the procedure to retrieve the "MASTER PASSWORD." Because my home file is secured by FileVault, I will require to know my MASTER PASSWORD if I ever forget my administrative password. And one more thing , I am the only the user of this one machine. Please go through my post and then suggest me with the better response.

Thank you.

Fine , since you are going to enter into the complexities of the same situation, it's pretty hard to feel sorry for you.Actually, they don't treat it as the Master password for nothing as you stated in your post. If you are a system administrator , then don't consider the password, there is no such type of method to reconfigure this and there is no method to access this : http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h...en/mh1909.html

I will appreciate the suggestion in the previous poster -the users here don't read the question closely before they are going to provide the answer for this .

If you don't remember your Master Password and you have not switched on the FileVault (and after all you are not running with the material encrypted by FileVault), then you can reconfigure your Master Password by removing the files:

/Library/Keychains/FileVaultMaster.cer
    /Library/Keychains/FileVaultMaster.keychain

Once, such type of files have been removed , you can move into the Security section of System Preferences and configure the new one Master Password. The only time that this will not be feasible if you have switched on FileVault and you are running with some FileVault encrypted files. You can't work with the Master Password facility for those files after you remove the files /Library/Keychains/FileVaultMaster.* .