Thread: Help!!! "Administrator has restricted this computer to access USB/1394 mass storage drives"for Windows XP

Help!!! "Administrator has restricted this computer to access USB/1394 mass storage drives"for Windows XP

I need help!!! I am not a tech savvy and I am having problem as stated in my title line. I am the administrator, the only account in my desktop and I didn't prohibit this access!!! Please give me a very easy instructions on how to fix it since I have to use my USB port so bad... The problem just appeared out of nowhere, I didn't install any programs or drivers. Thanks for the help.

Re: Help!!! "Administrator has restricted this computer to access USB/1394 mass storage drives"for Windows XP

Are you on the Acer Laptop by any means because if you are then it is a known problem in that laptop. Simply tap the F8 key on starting the computer, select safe mode ,enter Windows XP as administrator and in xp, open device manager, expand the tree for 1394 or similiar, right click and select enable then close out and restart pc.

Re: Help!!! "Administrator has restricted this computer to access USB/1394 mass storage drives"for Windows XP

Sorry but I am using a windows XP desktop... can you still help me?!

Yes you can make the changes well and process as needed. Just follow out the steps been in Windows XP mode as required. As you are the admin you have the rights to make the following changes as mentioned by Appy10. So do check for the thing and make the implementation as required. This will surely let you to a better output.

Hi Appy10 and Marthaz, thanks for your advice. I followed the instructions to tap F8, select safe mode and then I selected Microsoft XP Professional as my operation to start then I hit enter. But then I didn't see the open device, expand the tree for 1394 or similar. All I see is just a blank screen with no option like that. I am so sorry, if I am not this techie savvy... Please help!!! Thanks

You can try to do the following by going into the following listed below:

- Go to Control Panel
    - Add/Remove Programs
    - Remove the ACerLanscope program and ACer-eLock programs.
    - Reboot the PC.

Hope that helps.

Hi, Sorry but I don't have ACerLanscope program and ACer-eLock programs in my add/remove programs. Thanks though...any more advice please?

I had faced the same problem in my system also. There is a fix for that. It happens when the administrator restricts the right for the usb access from the Device Manager. You can right click on My Computer > Properties > Hardware > Device Manager. In that right click on the usb device and check that whether it is enabled or not. Some values in the Device Usage Fields disable it.

The Problem Is a software Named "AdminWorks" By "Avocent".
    It Is a part Of IDU (Intel Desktop Utility).

1. You need to Kill the following processes:

awServ.exe

iptray.exe

2. Start->Run : "msconfig" , Remove the following startup programs :

iptray

3. Delete the following Folder (Restart may be required) :

"C:\Program Files\Intel\IDU"

4. Reinstall IDU from intel's Download Site.

Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Peejay80 View Post
    I need help!!! I am not a tech savvy and I am having problem as stated in my title line. I am the administrator, the only account in my desktop and I didn't prohibit this access!!! Please give me a very easy instructions on how to fix it since I have to use my USB port so bad... The problem just appeared out of nowhere, I didn't install any programs or drivers. Thanks for the help.
    can you tell me what brand of desktop you are using then what are you trying to do plug ina usb flash drive or any removable devices ? can you make clear on this ... are you using a usb KB and mouse ?

the here tha trick in regedit you can try :

1. login on your PC ( you said that you are the administrator right ?)
    2. click on run then type regedit ....
    3. it will pop up the registry editor
    4. go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE ( expand )
    5. go to system ( expand )
    6. go to controlset001 expand it
    7. go to services then expand it
    8. look for USBSTOR then click it on the right side after clicking it look for
    start check what number is it if you see any number except 3
    ex.. 0x00000003 (3) ... right click the word start then click modify then change the number to 3 then closed the registry editor
    9. then plugin the usb device .... check if that will able to detect ..