Thread: Problem with RAID 0 array

Problem with RAID 0 array

I have an ASUS P5K-e wifi the problem is that I want to do a raid 0 with two 160GB Maxtor hard drives. of this board has 6 sata connectors in the same two of them black not sure if for the raid or where the device connects? I have sata and dvd rewritable sata too. this may affect. plugged into the black this has been my problem. I think the raid 0, raid controllers select the bios etc etc. It detects the raid without any problems. The problem comes in urging the windows, press F6 and rogue drivers , start uploading and paste in ten seconds after blue screen Please help me to resolve the Problem with RAID 0 array

Re: Problem with RAID 0 array

Linux RAID can work on most block devices. No matter whether you use IDE, SCSI or a mixture of both. Even some people have used a network block device (Network Block Device, NBD) with varying degrees of success. Make sure the bus (or buses) of the disks are fast enough. There should be 14 UW-SCSI disks on one UW bus, if each disk can 10Mb bus can only sustain 40MB / s. In addition, you should only have one device per IDE bus and this shoulr get your problem resolved.

The use of disks as master / slave is disastrous for performance. IDE is really inefficient accessing more than one drive per bus. Of course, all modern motherboards have two IDE buses, so that you can configure two drives in RAID without buying more controller cards. The RAID layer has absolutely nothing to do with the file system layer. You can put any filesystem on a RAID device, as would any other block device.

As a linear mode unless it reads and writes are performed in parallel on the devices. They must have approximately the same size. Since all accesses are performed in parallel, the discs are filled equally. If a device is much larger than the others rest, the extra space is used in the RAID device during writes to the top, but only access this larger disk. Naturally, this hurts performance. As in the linear mode, there is no redundancy in this level. Unlike linear mode, will not be able to recover any data if one drive fails

If you remove a disk from a RAID-0, RAID device will not lose just one consecutive block of data, but is filled with small holes throughout the device. Probably e2fsck is unable to recover much. The performance of reads and writes will increase, because reads and writes are performed in parallel on the devices. Normally, this is the main reason for using RAID-0. If the buses to the disks are fast enough, you can get almost N * P MB / sec.

The spare disks are disks that are not part of the RAID set until one of the active disks fails. When it detects a disk failure, the device is marked as defective and reconstruction starts immediately on the first available spare disk. However, the exchange on RAID-(1,4,5) is not supported. You can configure it, but fail. The reason is that the RAID layer sometimes allocates memory.
    Last edited by Killen; 02-07-2010 at 05:24 AM.

This is the first way that actually has redundancy. RAID-1 can be used in two or more disks with zero or more spare disks. This mode maintains an exact duplicate of a record of information of the other (s) disc (s). Of course, the disks must be the same size. If a disk is larger than another, your RAID device is the size of the smallest disk.

Normally, the read performance increases to nearly N * P, while the yield of the scriptures is the same as that of a single device or perhaps less. The readings can be done in parallel, but when you write, the CPU must transfer N times the amount of data that normally transferred (remember, you must send N identical copies of all data to discs).