Thread: Lenovo Thinkpad T410 with an Ultrabay Second Hard Drive

Lenovo Thinkpad T410 with an Ultrabay Second Hard Drive

I have bought a new Lenovo ThinkPad T410 on which i have installed a windows 7 os. I want to boot a hard drive which has been installed in the Ultrabay. When i boot up my Lenovo T410 and then press F12 then it is detecting my Ultrabay hard drive but it is not booting at all. Actually this ultrabay hard drive was configured for a Dell D620 running Windows XP. Even i can see the data of this hard drive if i boot normally.

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad T410 with an Ultrabay Second Hard Drive

As you had configured the hard drive on your dell laptop then i am sure that it is not going to boot with the Thinkpad. Until you reinstall everything under Thinkpad, this hard drive would be acting as an external hard drive only and you will be just able to use the space of that particular drive but you can never boot from it. So i recommend you to reinstall all the things on your thinkpad.

Actually this could be the drivers issue as you have used that hard drive with the windows xp then it would be having windows xp drivers and which does not works with the windows 7 operating system. I think you have to install this hard drive with the windows 7 drivers and then i guess it should be working. If still it does not works then i do not have anymore ideas by which you can boot from it.

I think you should try to boot in the safe mode which might works for you. Actually the problem seems to be with the hard drive itself as it was installed with the different window os but still you should first try booting up in safe mode first.

Restart your computer and then keep on pressing the F8 key which takes you to the Windows Booting Options where you have to select for the Safe Mode with or without Networking.

Only problem is that you have not installed any of the Operating system on the hard drive which you are using as an Ultrabay hard drive. You have to install an operating system on this drive then only you would be able to boot from that hard drive. Till then you would be just able to use that drive an external one. And make sure that you have installed the drivers of windows os which you install on this drive.

When your computer starts up then it checks for an operating systems presented on the hard space no matter it is on in built hard drive or an external one. So you have to put an operating system on your external drive with the proper drivers then only at the time of starting up, An operating system would get detected by the BIOS of your laptop and then you may select for an operating system as which to boot.