Thread: System for building a Virtual Lab

System for building a Virtual Lab

A system is to be built to host a virtual lab.

I am looking at different CPUs available from Intel and AMD, and the list is quite big and confusing. So looking for some guidance.

The system will run VMware ESX/i and various OS on top of it. The main purpose of the system is to test various deployment scenarios of OS and applications.

What i have in mind:
    CPU: Between 2-3 GHz, 64bit, full virtualization support, 32GB RAM support, reduced power consumption.
    M/B: 64bit, full virtualization support, integrated graphics, 32GB RAM support, multiple nic built-in(atleast 2), support for atleast 6HDD,reduced power consumption, ilo/remote mgmt facility

I am not looking for anything fancy. Need to keep the cost as low as possible.

What will you guys suggest for the cpu/mobo/ram config. Also smps that can support the load easily, and wastes less power.

Thanks

Re: System for building a Virtual Lab

You can go with the Fujitsu Primergy RX300 S6 rack server which has been optimized for virtualization purposes. It provides high, scalable I/O performance, extensive memory options, support for major hypervisor products and top performance with latest Intel® technology. In other words: 7xPCIe Gen2 prevent I/O bottlenecks, up to 192 GB of memory allow for optimal sizing of virtual environments and latest Intel® Xeon® processor 5600 series CPUs deliver top performance. More information here - http://ts.fujitsu.com/products/stand...y_rx300s6.html

Re: System for building a Virtual Lab

I am not looking for a server to be used for production applications. Just a system that has loads of ram and 2-4 core cpu to help run test VMs.

The system you have mentioned is going to cost a lot. I would wish one within 20000 INR.