Thread: Windows 7 could not open HP Laserjet 2550n toolbox

Windows 7 could not open HP Laserjet 2550n toolbox

After upgrading to Windows 7, I could not open HP Toolbox and getting an error message when I try to use it. It is getting me frustrated as I am able to use my printer efficiently without any problem. I use my toolbox in order to keep note of the ink cartridge. I tried to consult about this with the supplier but he said they can't do anything as I am on Windows 7. What should I do now? Does that means the HP Laserjet 2550n printer does not support Windows 7?

Re: Windows 7 could not open HP Laserjet 2550n toolbox

Have you reinstalled HP Toolbox on your computer after you upgraded to Windows 7 or is it your previous installation only? What message are you receiving? Is it "Please wait while Toolbox is being initialized" and does it freezes at anytime? This actually occurs if you have toolbox installed more than once or it is unable to detect the printer. Check if this is the case and correct it.

I think that occurred certainly because you are using Windows 7. May be the HP toolbox that you are running is not compatible with Windows 7. If possible then run it in compatibility mode and see if it works. If it doesn't work then install the HP toolbox which is made for Windows Vista. Since Vista and 7 have similar interface, HP toolbox should work on Windows 7. But make sure you delete the current version of toolbox that you are running and then install the new version. Otherwise you may face the issue as suggested by Mayur.

In order to get HP toolbox working, just check if you can see the following processes running in Windows Task Manager - "Processes":
    • javaw.exe - Java and Apache Tomcat Web server. This process MUST be running.
    • Statusclient.exe - Toolbox Web application code. This process is responsible for displaying alerts and finding the HP Toolbox printer installed on the PC. This process MUST be running.
    • hpbpsttp.exe - Proxy Stop application. This launches the HP Tomcat Web server, and the HP Toolbox Web application.
    • hpbmiapi.dll - Toolbox Port Resolver. If this component fails to register, errors may result from Toolbox not functioning.
    • d4channel.dll - Toolbox uses this component to communicate with the device.
    • Print driver - The printer driver for the device connected to the correct DOT4 port (DOT4_00x) or network port.