Thread: Update USB drivers to support external USB My Book

Update USB drivers to support external USB My Book

I am facing some problems with my Dell Dimension 8300 desktop computer which is installed with Windows XP. Recently I bought a new 500GB Western Digital external USB drive which when connected to the computer is not detected by the computer. I am not able to figure out what is causing such problem and hence need your help in solving the issue. Thanks in advance.

Re: Update USB drivers to support external USB My Book

Have you installed the required drivers for the external drive? For any device to work properly on the computer, it requires some drivers to be installed on the computer. If the required drivers are not installed then the system will not be able to access the drivers. Hence I will suggest that you install the drivers first and then connect the hard drive to the computer.

The external hard drive is connected to the computer using a USB cord. USB cord has many lines of conductors which get damaged due to improper handling and storage. If such a situation occurs then the communication between the hard drive and the computer will not occur properly which will give rise to such problems. Therefore change the connecting cord and see if it helps.

Follow the steps below and see if the hard drive gets detected on the system.
    • Right click on My computer and select Manage
    • From the list, highlight Device manager.
    • Now right click on the USB controller and select Disable.
    • Restart the computer
    • Let the system find the USB controller and install it.
    • After the procedure is complete, see if the hard drive gets detected on the computer.

Check the hard drive by connecting it to some other computer. See if the hard drive gets detected. Run the diagnostic tools for the hard drive on the computer and check if there are any problems with the hard drive or not. The diagnostic tools also help in repairing all the errors with the hard drive.

As suggested by I tried connecting the hard drive to some other computers and it got connected to different computers without any issues. I executed all the diagnostics tools on the hard drive and did not find any fault with the hard drive. Are there any other solutions to this problem? If yes then please suggest some solutions.